Monitor upgrade recommendation

Saphira1977

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
Hello,

My 10 year old monitor decided to kick the bucket today, so I am on the look for a new one. Current ones was a Samsung 24 inches.

What I use it for: CAD during the day, world of warcraft gaming or a movie in the evenings. I don't really play other games.
My PC: GPU is a GTX 1060 Gaming 6 gb, processor is an oldie i7 2700 Sandy Bridge, not sure if that matters.
What I don't care about: super huge vision angle, I only look at the monitor from its front. Design is also of little importance.
What I do care about: not being tiring on the eyes, given the fact I spend 14 hours a day watching it. I would also not mind a bit bigger than 24 inches, let's say 27 would be a good ballpark?
I'm not sure how to state budget, as anything you recommend will be at least 30% more expensive where I live, but let's assume up to 300 euros? Can go a little higher if it's worth it.

There are 2 types of monitors for budget up to €300.
IPS monitors have excellent viewing angle and image reproduction but not as fast as TN monitors.
TN monitors are fast, mainly for games like CS:Go, etc., but not that good in viewing angle and image reproduction.
These 2 have their own pros and cons depending on what you want and what you do.

Saying you don't care for this and for that will not bring you far. You must make up your mind first.

If you really mainly CAD, watch movies and play WoW, I would pick IPS monitor instead of TN.
For up to €300, my recommendation would be the Dell U2414H 24" IPS 1080p 60Hz for around €220

Another option but more than €300 is ASUS PB278QR 27" IPS 1440p 60Hz for around €390.
The higher resolution should be beneficial for CAD works. I am using this one for my secondary monitor.

Price source: alternate.de

Saphira1977

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
Thank you for the reply! As I mentioned, I'm really not tech savvy :) I assume the fast part doesn't really matter in wow, I don't do competitive pvp, so yes, it seems a slower but better image reproduction would be up my alley.
I chose 300 euros mostly in the light of the fact that price here would be closer to 400-450 if the US price is 300, but currently that ASUS seems to be on a sale that puts it at @350 so definitely affordable. I'm putting it on my list.

Edit: I looked at the spec more. Won't the 60 HZ frequency be tiring on the eyes, or did I read what it means wrongly?

Saphira1977

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
Day of research later: having had a good experience with an LG monitor in the past, I'm considering one of the following two:
https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-27UD68P - which is at the upper part of my price range
https://www.lg.com/ca_en/desktop-monitors/lg-27UD59P-B - very reasonably priced
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27UD69P-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor - also a choice

Differences I can see:
- more expensive one has higher luminosity 300 vs 250
- design differences
- power consumption lower on the more expensive one
- weirdly, the more expensive one has 24 months warranty versus the cheaper, which has 36 months.

Anything important I'm not seeing?

LG is also fine.
I had several before and I was not disappointed too.
about
hmmm...4k on 27" is quite useless unless you are sitting really near.
For 27" pick only 1440p (best) or 1080p.
If ou want 4k, you need 32" or bigger.
Plus, 1060 6GB is dead meat for 4k gaming.

logainofhades

Titan
Solution

cpmackenzi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
I have the 25" version of the Asus recommended. I work on my monitor all day and play games too. No problem with 60 Hz in terms of eyes getting tired. And Asus has blue light filters as well, which Ibsen to benefit from, working with text all day.