[SOLVED] Monitor Upgrades from ASUS ROG swift PG279Q?

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I'm looking to upgrade my monitor and give my ROG swift PG279Q to my wife but I'm not sure what 1440P (Or 4k potentially?) monitors exist that have better picture/display than it, especially when I paid $800 for the monitor 3-4 years ago. Budget isn't really a problem up to like $800-$1,000, I refuse to pay more than $1,000 for a monitor. (Yes I'm aware of the PG27UQ and It's a badass monitor and I want it, but $2,500 is a little expensive for a monitor that will be $1,000 4 years in the future lol.)

I'm potentially looking at the XG27UQ as a possibility but I don't know if I really want to upgrade to 4k gaming, I'm just looking into it and from what I hear the monitor doesn't have a 144hz IPS display anyway. Idk if I can live without an IPS display TBCH.

larsv8

Distinguished
Pg279q still pretty beast. Gonna be hard to find a clear upgrade with out breaking the bank.

With monitors, there is no “best”, it’s always about trade offs.

Better picture / display can mean a lot of different things to different people.

i suggest you start here and determine what features are important to you, then we can go from there.

https://www.displayninja.com/how-to-choose-the-right-gaming-monitor/

Solution

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
27 inch is important. I don't think I can fit a larger monitor on my current desk and besides 27 inches is the perfect size for a monitor any bigger and you won't be able to see the thing lol. Either 1440 or 4k is fine, although I did a lot of research and really, there are no 1440p monitors that have better picture than the PG279Q. So maybe I could just spend another $800 or so and buy another one. I just figured if I was going to spend $800-$1,000 on a monitor again I'd get something that's an upgrade over mine. But, like you said, It's kind of a beast. I'm surprised no new technology has come out over the last 4 years though. BTW, I do have a video card capable of handling 4k pretty decently (RTX 2080 super I could overclock it more too perhaps for even better performance I didn't buy a 2080 TI at the time because it was nearly $1,500 for one at the time and that was a bit... expensive for a video card and the super does almost exactly the same thing anyway there's a minimal difference between the two cards). 144 HZ at the very least I've grown accustomed to gaming at 144 hz or more. I overclocked my PG279Q to 165 HZ which looks and performs significantly better than 144hz, but if I'm going 4k a 120-144hz monitor is probably my only option. I'd like IPS Panels and 1ms response time for sure because I've grown accustomed to those features and we're upgrading from a PG279Q here. HDR for sure but that's a given. Umm, I don't care if the monitor is curved or flat I have no preference on that end.

I did find one 4k monitor that MIGHT be alright though it was recommended to me by a friend, the specs on it look alright would it be an alright upgrade over my PG279Q?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Preda...sh=item3fd400454f:g:-P0AAOSwGaVd8nB2&LH_All=1

I do game a lot but the game my wife and I play the most is World Of Warcraft (Not a very graphically demanding MMO that you can technically play on a microwave oven but I love how beautiful it looks with my PG279Q and setup). But we play a wide variety of games from the Witcher 3 to Crysis 3 to Shadow of the Tomb raider. We play a lot of graphically demanding games so maybe a 4k monitor would be a good choice. I also play lots of 4k Video on my TV and it would be nice to move them to my desktop which would have amazingly better picture than it. Hell my PG279Q has better picture than it lol.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013

Thank you very much! I ordered one from a amazon reseller and only paid about $530 for it brand new! That's significantly cheaper than a PG279Q thank you!

Only problem is it isn't coming until August 22nd. But, that's the Corona Virus for ya. Didn't feel like paying $100-$200 for shipping to get it here in a week :p

TRENDING THREADS