Question Monitor using TV resolutions and not PC (Intel iGPU&HDMI)

Sep 10, 2022
[Moderator edit to update OP per changes/added notes to a second post. Deleting second post.]

My monitor is now only showing 1 set of resolutions in the Windows Display Adapter which I'm guessing are the TV ones (maxing out at 120hz) Before that I could see an option for the PC ones which did include a 1080p144hz. Is there a way to bring them back, or maybe they are in a different place?
P.s I tried the monitor with an actual PC with a gtx 1660ti and an HDMI port, nvidia control panel let me use the PC ones. I can't use it on mine due to the intel card controlling the HDMI

My monitor is now only showing 1 set of resolutions in the Windows Display Adapter which I'm guessing are the TV ones (maxing out at 120hz) Before that I could see an option for the PC ones which did include a 1080p144hz. Is there a way to bring them back, or maybe they are in a different place?

I tried the monitor with an actual PC with a gtx 1660ti and an HDMI port, nvidia control panel let me use the PC ones. I can't use it on mine due to the intel card controlling the HDMI

Info:
msi GF63 11UD -HDMI> msi Optix G24C4
intel UHD630 (controlling the HDMI)

P.s The PC resolutions disappeared after 2 months of using them, the 144Hz HAS WORKED... Where they went, got no clue, maybe you do?

Last edited by a moderator:

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
Just to make sure i understand correctly.
You can't set the desired resolution on your own computer which has an intel igpu? Is that correct?
What do you see when you go into display settings in windows and look under display resolution? What options do you have there?

Sep 10, 2022
Just to make sure i understand correctly.
You can't set the desired resolution on your own computer which has an intel igpu? Is that correct?
What do you see when you go into display settings in windows and look under display resolution? What options do you have there?

The monitor is using TV resolutions which only go up to 120Hz and I want to set it to use the PC resolution which has 144Hz, it is an intel iGPU and I can see there all the resolutions and 50hz 60hz 120hz

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
The monitor is using TV resolutions which only go up to 120Hz and I want to set it to use the PC resolution which has 144Hz, it is an intel iGPU and I can see there all the resolutions and 50hz 60hz 120hz
Ok that sounds weird. It must not detect your monitor correctly then. Can you try to update both drivers for your igpu and for you monitor?
Windows should detect the refresh rates correctly.

Sidenote, does your monitor run at 120hz when you choose a resolution with that refresh rate?

Sep 10, 2022
Ok that sounds weird. It must not detect your monitor correctly then. Can you try to update both drivers for your igpu and for you monitor?
Windows should detect the refresh rates correctly.

Sidenote, does your monitor run at 120hz when you choose a resolution with that refresh rate?

It does detect the TV resolutions correctly, if you plug in your nVidia card to the monitor with an hdmi cable the control panel will give you an option to choose SD hd and uhd res or a PC res, and the hd etc. All have a 120hz limit, thats what im experiencing, but the problem is I can't choose the other one because im on intel (unless its hidden somewhere)

The monitors ui shows 120hz and I can tell its not 144 because my laptops internal display has it and its a slight difference but noticeable

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
I have a hard time following what you mean, with tv resolutions and so on, but i do think i understand now :)

I looked up the monitor and you have to use displayport to get 144hz. - It only supports up to 120hz with HDMI.

edit: I may have looked at the wrong monitor. This one with the 4 at the end should support 144 with hdmi. W Maybe you're using an old hdmi cabel that does not support 144@1080.
Otherwise i do not know what is going on.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022
I have a hard time following what you mean, with tv resolutions and so on, but i do think i understand now :)

I looked up the monitor and you have to use displayport to get 144hz. - It only supports up to 120hz with HDMI.

edit: I may have looked at the wrong monitor. This one with the 4 at the end should support 144 with hdmi. W Maybe you're using an old hdmi cabel that does not support 144@1080.
Otherwise i do not know what is going on.
I know what's going on, the only resolutions shown to choose from are the ones for TV's 50 60 120. It's supposed to show PC 30 48 75 100 144 . I'm using the same equipment as when those resolutions were shown there.
I want to do whats shown there but I can't use the nvidia control panel for it because my hdmi is connected to the cpu
TV resolutions vs PC resolutions :

View: https://imgur.com/a/SWPbDOi