Question Monitor went black after pressing alt gr plus F4

Status
Not open for further replies.

zak456

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
im using a windows 7 machine. my monitor is on unitl loading windows part. then after that it fails to display the login part.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Windows 7 version information.

Make and model monitor?

Not sure about what you mean by "gr" - the "g" and the "r" keys?

If intentional, why was "alt gr plus F4" being pressed? What were you trying to do or fix?

For example is that key combination relevant to some game play action?

More information needed.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Windows 7 version information.

Make and model monitor?

Not sure about what you mean by "gr" - the "g" and the "r" keys?

If intentional, why was "alt gr plus F4" being pressed? What were you trying to do or fix?

For example is that key combination relevant to some game play action?

More information needed.
He's talking about [Alt Graphics]. The alt key right of the spacebar, also called Alt Gr.

To me it sounds like you changed feed somehow. Is more than one unit plugged into your graphics card?
Try making sure that only your primary monitor is plugged in and then restart.

It would be nice to know which keyboard you have. It might have similar media keys to some laptops.

Ralston18

Titan
@AtotehZ

Thank you - not a "key" that I use. And I am using Windows 10 - not Windows 7 so how my system behaves with respect to Alt Gr could be another factor.

On my desktop Alt Gr toogles a bar across the top of the browser window with File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help.

Trying to use any of the any of presented choices toggles off the bar, closes the browser, or sometimes apparently does nothing at all.

My left Alt key results in very much the same behavior.

Understood that the monitor goes black - could be some video function being toggled - media keys as you mentioned.

I still have the same question for OP:

@zak456

What behavior is being expected when Alt Gr and F4 are pressed and what, if anything, was done to configure that expected behavior?

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
@AtotehZ

Thank you - not a "key" that I use. And I am using Windows 10 - not Windows 7 so how my system behaves with respect to Alt Gr could be another factor.

On my desktop Alt Gr toogles a bar across the top of the browser window with File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help.

Trying to use any of the any of presented choices toggles off the bar, closes the browser, or sometimes apparently does nothing at all.

My left Alt key results in very much the same behavior.

Understood that the monitor goes black - could be some video function being toggled - media keys as you mentioned.

I still have the same question for OP:

@zak456

What behavior is being expected when Alt Gr and F4 are pressed and what, if anything, was done to configure that expected behavior?
I use ALT GR primarily for tertiary functions on the keys. A lot of laptop keyboards have their "FN" key in the same area which made me thing that a tenkeyless or 60% keyboard might have similar shortcuts in that area.

Ralston18

Titan
@AtotehZ

Thanks. Pending further input from OP I am out of suggestions.

It would be helpful to understand what apps, key combinations etc. are being used along with what happens when the keys are pressed versus what is expected to happen.

As just an overall thought the problem may be the keyboard drivers: wrong drivers, corrupted, or mis-configured.

Or some combination thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies.