Question Monitor works and POSTS but shows no display when entering desktop?

Jan 7, 2022
So I've recently had problems with my GPU after my computer froze up, after fixing the GPU with some new thermal paste it seemed to work fine.
Now when I start my PC it displays BIOS and everything normally and it gets to the windows login screen. After logging in it looses signal and I have to get behind my computer to replug in the VGA cable, but it's not falling out because if it's pushed all the way into the socket then it looses connection again. After getting the display up, it's always cutting parts off and I have to go into display settings to reset it.
GPU: Nvidia GTX 770 2GB VRAM (Wind force)
CPU: Intel Core I5-2400 3.10GHz
RAM: 20GB DDR3 1333hz
Dual monitor setup

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't think you fixed gpu, it shouldn't be losing connection with monitor if its still plugged in, it sounds like GPU isn't sending a signal to monitor until you plug it back in again, and its fragile.

it working in bios and then stopping in windows means its the gpu driver, cards can often run bios and maybe even safe mode, but if its flaky windows normal mode can be too much for it.

Or you know, you could take GPU out and test if the monitor does same thing attached to mb display options.

But I think you need a new GPU or run off the Integrated graphics on intel cpu, and run off the motherboard.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022
Thank you for the response, i can't run the monitor off integrated graphics because the motherboard doesn't have any display connections, although I have a spare Nvidia GTX 730, it's not brilliant but it's a good temporary card. I have a two monitor setup and the bottom monitor works completely fine, it's just the top that's playing up

I will try to update or change the driver because I downloaded a new one ages ago but never applied it to the card, so it may be that?

TRENDING THREADS