Question Monitors going off randomly "No DisplayPort Signal Detected" need help troubleshooting.

Gorzul

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2014
Hey guys, my monitors will both go off showing "No Displayport signal detected" it happens every once in a while throughout the day.
I'd be playing a game or away from PC. monitors just turn off (no Signal from Display Port) and you cant do anything other than a hard reset.
When that happens in-game, its usually just after a small freeze in game. and boom monitor off, no signal.
I cant figure out what is wrong, did all of the steps suggested that I could find online, such as power settings in Nvidia for perfomance, etc,
I even installed a fresh windows 10 recently, under windows 7 had a similar issue, the Nvidia drivers would keep crashing. No matter how many newer ones I install even with DDU.
But now its monitors just going off under win10. Would really appreciate some help.

And here's my pc specs:
CPU: Intel i7-4820K LGA 2011 64 + Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: 32GB (8x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz PC3 19200 Desktop, Red CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R
GPU: ASUS ROG Swift 1080ti
HDD: SSD Samsung 1tb
PSU make and age: 4 years, Corsair Professional Series 860 Watt Digital ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply AX860i (links to 1200w, but its 860W model)
Dual Monitors: ROG SWIFT PG278RQ(primary) + BenQ XL2411

Note: Nothing is OCed.

Gorzul

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2014
Have you tried an alternate DisplyPort cable?

Unfortunately have not been able to get ahold of another, I will eventually try that, but I have two monitors and both going off, while the second one is connected Via HDMi
Also, I was using win7 prior to upgrading to Win10. And in windows 7 my Nvidia drivers would keep crashing throughout the day and recovering. It would keep happening like 5-10 times a day.
Ever since I upgraded to win10 this month, they arent crashing anymore as they did in win7, but i get this monitor black screen instead.
So something tells me there might be something there. I dont think its the drivers, as this has been happening for a year and I've been updating the drivers. And reinstalling regularly but the problem persists.
so im not sure what to look at next.
i thought it could be a PSU thing, but I think my PSU is sufficient. and Im using Corasir link to track the power it seems fine. For the little I understand.
Aslo the fact that my games freeze just prior to this monitor shutdown is telling, but not sure how to interpret all that.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This seems to be a hardware issue since issues occurred under both Win 7 and Win 10. The common denominator seems to be the GPU. Is your motherboard's BIOS on the most recent version available for it?

Yes, your PSU is more than enough to power this rig. No worries in that regard.

Does having a single display connected change the behavior at all?

Gorzul

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2014
This seems to be a hardware issue since issues occurred under both Win 7 and Win 10. The common denominator seems to be the GPU. Is your motherboard's BIOS on the most recent version available for it?

Yes, your PSU is more than enough to power this rig. No worries in that regard.

Does having a single display connected change the behavior at all?

In fact it seems that disconnecting my BenQ (secondary monitor) has helped. It has only been 4-5hours mind you, but so far I havn't had the issue of my monitor shutting down.
If this turns out to be the problem, what would be causing it? and does it have a fix? other than never using my secondary.
It's relatively recent. I've had this setup for 1.5 years without issues until a few months ago.

EDIT: it just happened again with only one monitor connected. So it isnt that.

Last edited:

Gorzul

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2014
Since you have to hard reset, are you sure it isn't the system locking up? I've been having a system lockup recently when heat is an issue since a Microsoft update last month.

The system keeps running normally, its just that the monitors go off. That's noticeable most of all when it happens while in game. The music continues running normally. everything seems to be normal but monitors dont come back on.
Though this will happen even if im away from PC, while its idle. not only while playing games.

May 16, 2019
Unfortunately not, its very frustrating, and cant seem to find the issue.

I have two monitors and i connected one to motherboard gpu to see if i could see whats going on.

When this problem happened again i hit Win+Ctrl+Shift+B keys together to restart the graphics driver. Then i got visual on the monitor that connected to motherboard. I opened MSI after burner and see both gpu clock and mem clok is at 0 Mhz. It was like it shut itself. I thought it can be power related and changed PSU and dont have this problem since then.

Gorzul

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2014
I have two monitors and i connected one to motherboard gpu to see if i could see whats going on.

When this problem happened again i hit Win+Ctrl+Shift+B keys together to restart the graphics driver. Then i got visual on the monitor that connected to motherboard. I opened MSI after burner and see both gpu clock and mem clok is at 0 Mhz. It was like it shut itself. I thought it can be power related and changed PSU and dont have this problem since then.

Well i was thinking to use my old 780ti for a few days and see if this still happens. the issue is, if its a CPU bottleneck issue (as the majority have told me) or a PSU issue as you have mentioned. It might not necessarily be reproduced on the 780ti.
And i wont be able to definitively prove its the GPU either. And my board doesnt have onboard gpu. not sure if I can test it like you did.
I was planning a $2k upgrade end of year that included most parts, but PSU was never on my agenda. Im running the corsair link to monitor everyting at all times, and checking the logs power output is normal at all times, even at the time of the crash. But again im no expert.

And btw I was watching a youtube video last night when this happened. The audio was still going with monitors off. for about 15 seconds. then it all went quiet. Not sure if this indicates anything