Monitors on 2nd GPU aren't detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2018
Hi All,

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue that I am having with hooking up 6 monitors to 2 separate GPUs. I have 2 1050 GPUs and I can hookup 4 monitors on 1 gpu, but I can't get the other 2 monitors to work on the 2nd GPU. I even swapped the GPUs and tried it, same result happened, so the GPU is not the issue. I also tried doing 1 monitor one 1 gpu and another monitor on another, still only 1 monitor works. Windows detects both GPUs and one is primary and the other is a linked (secondary priority) gpu. I cannot figure why the GPU is detected, but when I plug in a monitor to the secondary gpu, the screen does nothing. I don't know if there is something I have to do in my BIOs with lane switching. I am semi-novice when it come to stuff like this so, I've been scanning the internet for a solution, but have yet to find one.

It is like the GPU are having issue coordinating together. Seems like when 1 GPU is being used, the other one can't figure out how to work with the other GPU to display 6 monitors across 2 GPU.

I updated all of the drivers, I also tried 1,2,3,4 monitors as I moved up so it wouldn't confuse the system, still nothing works. Restarting does nothing after I hookup 4 monitors to 1 GPU, then plug my 5th in the 2nd GPU, restart and doesn't detect the 5th still.

Would love if someone could give me some input, I am running 6 60" TVs for digital status boards for a business and I need to have it up and running in the next week.

You are correct. The typical system uses a single dedicated graphics card or the integrated graphics. The other option was to use SLI (Nvidia) or Crossfire (AMD) along with a compatible motherboard and a link between the graphics cards to increase the overall graphics performance.

There are some mining applications that use multiple graphics cards. But they are used in that situation to run the mining software independently.

I found this webpage that goes through the various ways to use multiple graphics cards including for multiple monitors.

https://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/peripherals/the-complete-guide-to-multiple-monitors-1074313

What's your system specs? Are the tvs showing in nvidia control panel?

Sli and cf is only for gaming and sli will cause issues when trying to use the max number of monitors. The 1050 can't sli anyways and you can mix all intel, amd and nvidia together and it makes no difference when all you want is more monitors.

He isn't talking about SLI or Crossfire. I mentioned it only as a conventional use of multiple graphics cards. He is asking about hooking up 6 monitors to two graphics cards. An Nvidia Quadro or NVS would be a better solution. He is trying to do the same thing with two GTX 1050 graphics cards.

I know he didn't but you said it was the other option when it's not and it needed to be clarified. The majority of multi gpu users don't use sli or cf. It's easy to hook up multiple monitors with any gpu or gpus with the capability. Plenty of people do it with dgpu + igpu.

No, most people have one or the other. You have mentioned this before, but none of the systems that I'm familiar have that capability (or without specific software - maybe).

I think your view is just skewed for gaming. Pcs majority use is business and work. There are a lot more work pcs than there are home pcs. There are more home pcs than there are home gaming pcs. Yes most are single gpus in any situation but when talking about multiple gpu pcs, we get into a lot more people that do content creation, trading, operations, and other industries where multiple monitors (and not just 2 but many times 4 or more) are a standard. Then there are other uses like compute or render farms where there are multiple gpus but no need for multiple monitors. Both of these situations will never use cf or sli which is for gaming. Other than gaming, they do no combine performance like directx software does. It only causes issues as it affects port output capabilities or work distribution.

Most intel mobo since sandy has a feature called igpu multi monitor. Oems saw it less since they limited it but it's more common now. Aftermarket, I don't know of any that don't have it. This was a feature introduced by intel themselves. Older mobos could also do it but it was less common. Amd didn't have a name for it but their apus at the same time had the same common feature.

That is true. But virtually every business computer that I've been around doesn't use a graphics card. Certainly there are exceptions like the multiple screen applications. The businesses I worked in had computers at virtually every desk. All were networked, but they were simple business computers (except for the servers). Even the executives used single monitors.

And I am familiar with igpu multi-monitor. Unless it is tucked away in a corner of the BIOS that I haven't explored, I don't think any of my systems have it (but none of them are business computers either).

But back to this post, do you have any suggestions to use two GTX 1050 cards to run 6 monitors?

I did read your post.

Mar 21, 2019
I am having a similar issue on my PC, I am running (2) NVS 810's I can only get 12 screens running. I have thoroughly checked both cards and know they both work. Regardless of which card I use I can not get 1 of the 2 GPU's on the card to show up when it is installed in slot 7 (PCIe 3.0 x16) but the matching card in slot 5 will show all 8 of it's screens. I should be running 16 screens but have yet to figure out why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS