Question Monitors permanently going black when using gaming PC

Aug 16, 2024
Was hoping somebody could help me with my issue.

My computer screens go black regularly when im playing a game. Essentially they go off and I can still hear alerts and voice chats etc from my computer but they don't turn back on?

As I mentioned it happens when I'm doing things that are taxing on the PC such as playing games and such.

I have replaces the case and all of the fans alongside the AIO cooler as I thought it was a heat issue but its still doing it, would anybody have any suggestions as to what it could be? The only way to get back to using the PC is a reset via the button on my case also.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Aug 16, 2024
Some system details would be helpful.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K - 8-Core 3.60GHz, 5.00GHz Turbo - 16MB Cach
CPU cooling: Corsair ICUE Link H150i
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO: ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, SATA3, 2x M.2
Memory: 4x Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 mgz
GPU: GIGABYTE - GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB AORUS XTREME Graphics Card
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x 1000W 80+ Gold Modular Gaming Power Supply
Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 120 2.5" SSD - 560MB/s Read / 540MB/s Write
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit Edition)

Are all of your drivers and the OS up to date? BIOS up to date?
Apologies, please see above. And everything up to date yes.

DaleH

Notable
Mar 24, 2023
Was hoping somebody could help me with my issue.

My computer screens go black regularly when im playing a game. Essentially they go off and I can still hear alerts and voice chats etc from my computer but they don't turn back on?

As I mentioned it happens when I'm doing things that are taxing on the PC such as playing games and such.

I have replaces the case and all of the fans alongside the AIO cooler as I thought it was a heat issue but its still doing it, would anybody have any suggestions as to what it could be? The only way to get back to using the PC is a reset via the button on my case also.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thank you in advance.
It could still be a heat problem. What are the temperatures that you observe. Usw HWMONITOR

Aug 16, 2024
It could still be a heat problem. What are the temperatures that you observe. Usw HWMONITOR
I'm looking at Temps around;

General GPU - 81 °c
GPU Memory - 66 °c
Hot Spot Temp - 104-109 °c

CPU is running at about 50-80 °c

Please let me know if you require any more information.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Simple thing to try. Remove and re-insert the GPU.

You would be surprised how often that works. Enough thermal cycles and GPUs can walk themselves out of the slot.

Swap display cables. Display port particularly is notorious for not working correctly when it comes to temporary disconnects.

Check the windows event viewer for any signs of the driver crashing. You might consider installing a slightly older driver as well.

Aug 16, 2024
Simple thing to try. Remove and re-insert the GPU.

You would be surprised how often that works. Enough thermal cycles and GPUs can walk themselves out of the slot.

Swap display cables. Display port particularly is notorious for not working correctly when it comes to temporary disconnects.

Check the windows event viewer for any signs of the driver crashing. You might consider installing a slightly older driver as well.
Thank you for the suggestions, I have recently swapped the case completely so the GPU has been reinstalled etc.

I will attempt to swap out the cables and see if that works, what's strange with the last time it did it was my RBG lights etc reset like the computer itself was having problems when it happened. Like it was shutting down iCUE