Question Monitors stay asleep afterwaking up from sleep or moving mouse when screen is sleeping

ElectricWizard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
I am having the issue in the title. I am only assuming this is a graphics card related issue. The computer will go to sleep, I will wake it up with mouse/keyboard, but the displays will stay off (light on monitors go on and off intermittently like they do when the displays are asleep). The same thing will happen even if the monitors only go to sleep and not the entire system. The weird thing is that it doesn't happen in the morning when I first wake the computer up from sleep overnight, but any subsequent times it will like 95% of the time. This issue is new as of a couple weeks, and I cannot recall anything occurring when it started. To get my display back I ultimately have to hard reboot the system which is stupid and annoying.

Edit: now it won't come on at all for the past couple of days except today when the computer was asleep overnight

Things I have tried (none of which worked of course):
  • made sure graphics drivers are up to date
  • uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and software
  • clean install of graphics drivers (https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/)
  • tried combinations of connections: displayport for monitor 1, HDMI for monitor 2, same thing but reversed, both displayport (currently both displayport), unfortunately the GPU only has one HDMI port
  • checked for BIOS update
  • Win + Ctrl + Shift + B to restart graphics driver
  • Tried a different monitor
It seems like a GPU issue but I'd prefer not to have to buy a new one if possible.

Maybe related, maybe not: around the same time this issue started, I noticed my ethernet connection would need to be disabled and reenabled for it to connect after the system wakes up from sleep. Doesn't do it when it's powered off or restarted. It will show the disconnected globe icon unless I disable/enable the adapter.

System specs:

Win10
2x Samsung LU28E590DS/ZA 28" 4K UHD LED Monitor
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
HP EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Core Edition Video Card
Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Last edited:

kiriakos-gr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
www.ittsb.eu
My offered quick tips they are Free of charge.
For delivery of teaching you have to pay me 100 Euro per answer.
Forums they are never intended to replace the educational institutions which them produce high quality electronics engineers.