Monitors will go black after 6 hours of computer time

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
Hello,

This is going to be a long posting so I apologize up front if there is any spelling errors etc. I will try my best to proof read.

I have a windows 10 desktop PC which I got custom built from a local computer store. I'm not very thrilled with the guy who made it because he refuses to fix it and is asking 100 dollars an hour just to look at it and tells me hes not sure he can fix it etc.

I edit video and use Adobe Premiere Pro CC. Here are the specs of my machine which match Adobe Premiere's requirements including the graphics card.

from the speccy app

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Xeon E3 1270 @ 3.60GHz 32 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 09WH54 (U3E1)
Graphics
LG TV (1920x1080@30Hz)
SHARP HDMI (1768x992@30Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA Quadro M4000 (NVIDIA) 46 °C
Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WDS500G1B0A-00H9H0 (SSD) 34 °C
1863GB Western Digital WDC WDS200T2B0A-00SM50 (SSD) 30 °C
2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EZRX-00SPEB0 (SATA) 33 °C
2794GB Western Digital WDC WD3003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (SATA) 38 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WDS100T1B0A-00H9H0 (SSD) 25 °C
1863GB Samsung Portable SSD T5 SCSI Disk Device (SSD) 24 °C
4657GB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA)) 39 °C
14GB Freecom Portable USB USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GHB0N
Audio
Scarlett 18i8 USB

When I first got this machine I started to have major problems. Programs would crash at random. Often telling me I was in administrator mode. This still happens sometimes even though the guy who built it claims I'm the admin. (Don't think he made this computer correctly)

After about 6 hours of the machine being on which needs to happen since I have lots of storage to backup with video files Premiere Pro CC will freeze. all the monitors will go black and after a few seconds the screens come back on and everything works. This goes back and forth from working to freezing to monitors blacking out etc unless I restart. This happens every day after it's on for 6 hours but every time I restart it works fine until another 6 hours have been up. Yes I''ve timed it.

I have updated my graphic drivers installed all windows 10 updates etc. Same problem. I then found the NVIDIA control panel where I landed on the power consumption setting for the graphics card. It was set to default and has been like this ever since I got it. Curious I switched the setting to use maximum power and within 30 min the monitors black out. This was after a restart since windows told me to restart after changing the graphic setting. I then revered back to default and now it blacks out again after 6 hours.

My power supply is a 365 watt CPU. Computer guy who built it says that should be enough power but I've read this might be causing my problems.

aside from that I have a laptop which I bought online from bestbuy. None of this happens even with the same premiere projects and files. I also can't even copy files from from an external drive which I setup on my windows laptop to my desktop PC without getting a "this drive is set to read only. " error. Funny thing is it's only in read only mode on my deksktop not my laptop and when I uncheck read only mode and hit apply it reverts back to read only mode.

Is it the power supply or something else? It's driving me crazy. Sometimes youtube in chrome and even edge will do the same thing and black out the monitors. The graphics card is supposed to be able to run 4 monitors but it can't even run 2. I got all the parts new from dell so they aren't used parts at all.

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017

I didn't replace it yet because the guy who built it won't do so. He says nothing is wrong and tells me it's my problem. I can only get it replaced through him or it voids my warranty of the machine. That is the policy of the guy who built it. But I might just perhaps void the warranty since the computer guy is an idiot.

Can any PSU works in any machine or could any PSU potentially break the motherboard etc?

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017

Just so I'm clear is the sliver box with the dell sticker on it the power supply in my computer?

I also sent a few extra photos of what's inside my computer and just want to make sure all the fans etc will still work with the power supply you mentioned.

https://imgur.com/a/WNlJXmc There are the photos.