Monitr goes black n computer freezes on hd 5570

raj_ady

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
hey i m having a prob with my pc.. i have a HD5570 graphics card.. the prob started few months back that my monitor was going black n was again back to normal.. this was happening repeatedly mostly while playing games. . i changed my vga cable.. it worked for few days and then i started to get a new prob which is my monitor goes black n nothing is displaying.. tho power is on in my monitor.. and after a few secs the computer would freeze.. caps lock n num lock doesn't work.. tho processor and everything is running.. i checked without using the gfx card and i am not facing a problem when not using gfx card.. but i noticed when using gfx card a slight movement or any jerk on the cabinet also results in the same prob..i don't understand whether it is the prob with my graphics card or the PCI slot in the motherboard.. can u plz help ?? THANX..

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you can duplicate the problem by jarring the PC, then there is a connection problem. I presume you have removed/re-inserted the card s few times to be sure it was seated correctly. Is the MB old? Have you checked the PCIe x16 slot with another card? Go through the system and verify that all wiring connectors are firmly in place. Remove/re-insert them to be sure.

raj_ady

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014

yes the mobo is about 6 years old.. n ya i have removed n reinserted the graphics card a lot of times to check whethr its seated properly.. aftr using the screws to tighten the card to the cabinet , i checkd the card doesnt move at all.. but if even use a finger to attempt to move it ,it doesnt move but the display goes of.. i dont have a spare gfx to check whther its the prob with the gfx or the PCI slot... and i also checkd whthr all wiring connectrs are properly inserted..
my motherboard is ASUS P5KPL AM/PS.. this doesnt have an extra pci slot evn to check..

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, it's going to be hard to tell which is the problem unless there is something obvious with the slot or the card's edge connector. Or there is something obvious with the video port on the card. Does that model of HD 5570 have DVI and VGA both for outputs? Could you try the other output?

You really need another card to try in that slot. Can you temporarily borrow one from a friend?
Chances are it is the card. But we can't be sure w/o testing.

raj_ady

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014

it has a dvi output too, but i dont have a dvi cable.. i guess i have to borrow a card from a frnd n try it in that slot.. but what if even dat card results in d same problem in my pc.. ???
btw can it it b a PSU issue?? my processor and evrything runs even when the display goes off n the computer freezes.. the card has a power requiremnt of 400w and i have a 450w PSU..

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If the problem happens with a friends card, and that card isn't too much for your PSU, I would assume the board is at fault.

The HD 5570 does NOT require a 400W PSU. Who told you that? It has a max TDP of only 43W: http://www.hwcompare.com/188/radeon-hd-5570/
But it does require a good quality PSU. Any good quality 300W or better PSU is fine for that card. But if your "450W" PSU is a piece of junk, it may be causing the problem, yes.

raj_ady

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014

i used a friend's gfx in my system.. nvidia 520 gt.. but i had no problems.. used it even to play games n all but the problem didn't happen again till now.. i thought it might b the prob with my gfx... so i inserted my hd 5570 in his system n surprisingly it was running great.. he played splinter cell blacklist for a long time without any problems and has used it for almost a day..
now i don't understand what the prob is.. doesn't look like the gpu or PCI slot.. strange :( :( :( :(

raj_ady

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014

I don't think it is the monitor cz it is running fine on my friend's gfx and when i am using my onboard graphics even den everything is fine.. so i m not sure if its the monitor..
The PSU is a 450 w Frontech. Model: ATX P4
its around 6 years old ..

raj_ady

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014

my friend's 520gt works perfectly in mine now for 2 days.. played games and all.. didn't face any issue.. whereas my friend told that now he is facing the same problems like me after using my 5570hd... so i guess the problem is a bad graphics card.. isn't it??

raj_ady

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
But my 5570 had d same probs in his machine.. he has a cooler master 650w psu.. so i guess its the gfx card which is leading to the problem..
can u tell which will b better among nvidia 630, 730 or ati radeon r& 240?? i m a bit low on budget so cant invest much on a costlier gfx.