More Blackberry Tablet Details Emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Will be interesting. RIM builds pretty solid no frills business oriented devices. This might win them back much needed mind trust. Hopefully they have jazzed up there OS.

G

Being a business device i hope it has an actual keyboard and stylus. Dont need a tablet version of the Storm.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]Will be interesting. RIM builds pretty solid no frills business oriented devices. This might win them back much needed mind trust. Hopefully they have jazzed up there OS.[/citation]
The solid, no frills OS is exactly why I love my Tour. I use it for work, not play. About the closest I get to 'playing' with the device is checking the weather forecast or the occasional youtube. I really don't see a need to muck up the device with a lot of games or fart apps when I just want something that opens up docs, email, pdfs, excel, ppts and so on. I have a real hard time seeing these slate PCs as little more than neat toys people plan on using to browse/game while watching TV. I like my Tour because I can toss it in a pocket and use it to remain connected to the main offices or use as a mini, handheld computer while I'm at the production facilities, a slate just seems too large to fill this purpose (i.e. doesn't fit in my pocket). In every case I can think of that a slate would be better than a smart phone due to its larger size/screen, I find that I'd rather have an actual laptop or tablet laptop PC.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]tramit[/nom]I love my blackberry curve, but whats with the crazy tablet fever all these companies have....[/citation]

Companies have tried tablets before but they never caught on because there was never much of a use for them. Apple can get away with these things because their fans just buy anything they make. So now lots of people have tablets, everyone else wants one and the other companies can safely invest in making them and jump on the bandwagon.

That and of course, touch screen interfaces were clunky until smartphones improved it.

I wonder if it would become a trend. Any new and risky market that a company wants to get into won't invest until Apple does it and makes it "catch on".

jsm6746

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
hmmm... video conferencing doesn't sound very appetizing... how am i supposed to say i'm at work when it's obvious that i'm at home in my underwear... and they could probably hack it like that highschool did and spy on me all hours of the day... nonono... i already hate my blackberry enough for tethering me to work all the time...

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I have the first Storm and I really like it. It's not perfect, but it's the best smartphone I've used so far. Still, I hope that this tablet will be more than a big Storm. And I'm incertain about the screen... 7-inch? Bigger than a phone, smaller than a iPad... what exactly would be the purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.