More Details Emerge on Nvidia's Kal-El: Quint-Core?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
As much as I''m disliking every piece of news of Windows 8 features I can actually see how it would work perfectly with the Transformer Eee Pad. When in tablet form it should use Metro UI and when docked it should turn to the normal Windows environment.

It's brilliant, if they ever do it I'll buy one.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]that's like comparing apples to oranges. These are SoC's we are dealing with with extremely low power profiles, AMD fusion is desktop and notebook CPU's/APU's that consume high amounts of power.[/citation]
The CPU part of Brazos can certainly scale down very low (sub-1W per core I believe), however without a weaker GPU, it's pretty much consigned to a different power bracket.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]The CPU part of Brazos can certainly scale down very low (sub-1W per core I believe), however without a weaker GPU, it's pretty much consigned to a different power bracket.[/citation]
That's like saying a highend Ferrari engine can be scaled down to the same fuel consumption rate as a Ford Fiesta. Sure, if you idle the Ferrari motor at the same time you hold the Fiesta at full throttle your fuel usage might look similar. But, a Ferrari engine at idle is not nearly as useful as a Fiesta at full throttle no matter how much cooler you think that Ferrari engine might be.

Besides, a Ferrari engine and a Fiesta aren't even the same thing. One is only an engine, and the other is an entire car. AMD's APU's are just that, APU's. They are not SoC's. APU's consist of built-in components for both CPU functions and GPU functions. In AMD's case they also contain a few of the typical north bridge components such as the RAM interface controllers. As integrated as these APU devices are, they are still not SoC's. SoC's include everything needed to run the system, except for, in most cases, the storage device (i.e. HDD, SSD, etc.) and the RAM. Sometimes they even throw in the kitchen sink, so to speak, by including other, usually separate, devices that typically help with connectivity. These can include WiFi controllers, network interface controllers, USB controllers, SATA controllers, and even GSM/CDMA controllers.

So as you can see, unless AMD can pack all of those things on to a single chip, and then come "close" to the power consumption of the Tegra SoC's, then you can try to draw a comparison.

Oh and I'm not ragging on you, just informing several posters on here who seem to be confused as to what type of device this article is even referenceing.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
My point was that the Brazos cores can be run to use exceptionally low amounts of power, and if there was a GPU weaker than those employed by A- and C- series APUs to bolt on, then yes, we could end up with two comparative products, albeit with one being x86/64.

AMD employs the C- series for its lowest power work for lack of having anything even weaker/more frugal for the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.