More Details on Ivy Bridge Models "S" and "T" Emerge

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Power usage doesn't increase exponentially with voltage. lol. that would be crazy.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]pttq[/nom]These are not laptop cpu's, they are low power desktop cpu's.[/citation]
If you think these are primarily desktop processors, you are wrong. These are intended to be used in laptops (and low power PCs), and are typically only sold to computer manufacturers who produce laptops and low power PCs. You may find a T or S variant occasionally for sale from an e-store, but it's uncommon.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Uberragen21[/nom]If you think these are primarily desktop processors, you are wrong. These are intended to be used in laptops (and low power PCs), and are typically only sold to computer manufacturers who produce laptops and low power PCs. You may find a T or S variant occasionally for sale from an e-store, but it's uncommon.[/citation]
These are desktop procs, check the Intel Ark page. Anyway, laptop processors all have -M suffixes.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]These are desktop procs, check the Intel Ark page. Anyway, laptop processors all have -M suffixes.[/citation]
Hmm, you are right. I stand corrected.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]The GHz race was the rage when performance scaled with frequency so the point was going up-up and of course going up meant power hungry and hot processors. But at a distinct point in time, a light bulb lit in one engineers head and he thought "what if performance can scale upwards with improvements in architecture rather than just plain speed". So back to the drawing board and there u have it, speed obtained through "cleverness" rather then "brute force".[/citation]
This is the most idiotic thing I've read here. For starters, performance still scales pretty damn good with clockspeed. Otherwise why would anyone want the higher clocked versions of a particular architecture? Second, they've been improving IPC for years, long before the clock speed race died off. There was no light bulb moment, no going back to the drawing board. They've been doing it all along. They just started to hit some thermal and power limits that made higher clock speeds impractical - especially since the market started to shift towards more and more mobile devices, as well as smaller devices (mobile and otherwise).

You didn't even mention parallelism, adding more cores in favor of higher clocks.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Man these TDP numbers are good...compare the present sandy bridge pentiums with these...or the other low-voltage parts...and the turbo "boost" is crazy...800 MHz!Plus these will have the improved IGPs too. Combine both, compare with llano. If Intel can price them appropriately, it's win, win, win for them...Though i'm not so confident about the pricing bit to be honest! p.s. that Core i5 3470T will be great for a NAS setup with AES-256 encryption...[/citation]I don't think this will change the situation all that much. Llano is getting a successor too, and I'm certain the GPU will be faster than HD 4000. Intel will continue to dominate CPU performance, of course. So it comes down to pricing, for the mainstream market at least.

adrianajones

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
There's a lot of buzz about 2012 laptops. Computers are getting so thin these days and the tablet market seems to be picking up quite considerably. If I'm not getting a tablet, I'm going to need a laptop table to go with this so I can work mobile. Here's what I'm thinking of http://bit.ly/vy3hNS

embmessiah

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Ivy Bridge processors will support PCI-E 3.0, that pratically doubles pci-e bandwitch. That's enough for gamers to choose ivy instead of sandy bridge.

embmessiah

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Ivy Bridge processors will support PCI-E 3.0, that pratically doubles pci-e bandwitch. That's enough for gamers to choose ivy instead of sandy bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.