More Efficient CPUs from Intel Coming this Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I hope by focusing on HD they mean more models featuring 1080p screens, Blu-ray drives, and HDMI output, and less models featuring Intel graphics.

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]I hope by focusing on HD they mean more models featuring 1080p screens, Blu-ray drives, and HDMI output, and less models featuring Intel graphics.[/citation]
With Intel's move to embedded graphics, there's just going to be more Intel -- at least in the near future.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
While the idea of an all-Intel world frightens me, I don't see why portable computers need discrete graphics cards for HD content playback. So what if your laptop takes a lot of CPU power to decode blue-ray, modern CPUs are a lot more energy efficient than any worthwhile GPU. If it runs without stuttering, who cares what component is doing the decoding.

I don't see gaming as a top priority for most notebook manufacturers.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]While the idea of an all-Intel world frightens me, I don't see why portable computers
need discrete graphics cards for HD content playback. So what if your laptop takes a lot of CPU power to decode blue-ray, modern CPUs are a lot more energy efficient than any worthwhile GPU. If it runs without stuttering, who cares what component is doing the decoding.I don't see gaming as a top priority for most notebook manufacturers.[/citation]

Actually thats incorrect. A decent GPU for HD playback, lets say ATI's integrated 3200 series, can playback 1080p video using either a low end cpu or a high end cpu that clocks down (cool n' quiet). I believe there was a Tom's Hardware article about the lowest power hungry system was a 780g motherboards with a sempron Athlon X2 BE-2350. Aww, fuck it, here the link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-780g-chipset,1785-15.html A quote form the article: "Since the on-board GPU handles all of the decoding operations for the H.264 and VC-1 codecs, the power consumption of the brawnier CPUs increases only marginally."
And noone ever said you need discrete graphics. AMDs integrated graphics are just fine, but Intel has been lacking in that department for quite sometime.
The fact of the matter is when it comes to Blu-ray playback going through the GPU is much more energy efficient when using the right GPU than using a CPU. It also allows you to multi-task .

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]gamerk316[/nom]Make a gaming laptop I can run 12 hours on without having to recharge, and maybe I'll consider buying one. Otherwise, not interested.[/citation]
Why not make it fusion powered, so I never need to charge and have the graphics power of ten thousand GT-285s, no make that a billion, ... no a trillion and then I will be interested (raises little finger inverted to lip - plus evil laugh].
But seriously does anybody else get annoyed when some schoolkid who needs to ask mummy for their next upgrade do that?

G

Make a gaming laptop I can run 12 hours on without having to recharge, and maybe I'll consider buying one. Otherwise, not interested.
Any gaming notebook with AC adaptor can do that; just as well as a desktop can.

I fear Intel will release on chip graphics for HD video, and we'll lose the quality the big players deliver us like hardware postprocessing (deblock/dering) or deinterlacing, slower to none hardware encoding of 264 or mp4 video;and slower performance.

rootheday

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Intel gma4500 (part of Centrino2) already fully offloads decode and post processing for SD content (HQV:~113/130); ditto for HD offload of AVC, VC1 and MPEG2 (HDHQV:~50/100). I'm betting the "HD" push here actually means adding more post processing features (maybe HDHQV of 85+?) and fixing some of the 24p & hdmi repeater that were reported last fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.