More help please!!!! :)

In the ongoing saga that is my computer....

Changed from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, and it wouldn't recognize my modem.
Downloaded the driver from Dell's website and still nothing. I decided to
start fresh last night, and I reinstalled XP (the modem is still not there),
and now when I check the hardware in the Device Manager, there's a yellow
question mark next to a device called "PCI Simple Communications Controller"
I clicked on the options to update the drivers, but it said no drivers could
be found. Is this the reason for the problem with the modem? I looked all
over microsoft.com and I can't find the driver for that device. Can anyone
help me? Thanks!!!!

Did you go to Dell and obtain and install the Motherboard driver as I
suggested in your original post?
Until you provide Windows XP with a Motherboard driver, Windows will not be
able to properly talk to your PCI bus and will, consequently, be unable to
properly address the modem.

The steps are as follows:
#1. Install Windows XP
#2. Install the Dell Motherboard driver
#3. Install the Modem driver
#4. Install other Dell proprietary drivers (video card, etc.)

Note:
Please do not keep starting new threads for the same problem. Post a
problem, try the suggested solutions. If those suggestions to not work, post
your results (and any error messages) to the same thread.

When you keep starting new threads, nobody knows where you are in the
troubleshooting process.

steve

"lillybellis" <lillybellis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the ongoing saga that is my computer....
>
> Changed from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, and it wouldn't recognize my
modem.
> Downloaded the driver from Dell's website and still nothing. I decided
> start fresh last night, and I reinstalled XP (the modem is still not
there),
> and now when I check the hardware in the Device Manager, there's a yellow
> question mark next to a device called "PCI Simple Communications
Controller"
> I clicked on the options to update the drivers, but it said no drivers
could
> be found. Is this the reason for the problem with the modem? I looked
all
> over microsoft.com and I can't find the driver for that device. Can
anyone
> help me? Thanks!!!!

I wasn't sure where I could find the motherboard driver from Dell. I didn't
know which "Heading" to check under to find it - I didn't see anything in any
of the driver categories that specifically said "motherboard" unless it's
called by a different name for the driver.

"joust in jest" wrote:

> Did you go to Dell and obtain and install the Motherboard driver as I
> suggested in your original post?
> Until you provide Windows XP with a Motherboard driver, Windows will not be
> able to properly talk to your PCI bus and will, consequently, be unable to
> properly address the modem.
>
> The steps are as follows:
> #1. Install Windows XP
> #2. Install the Dell Motherboard driver
> #3. Install the Modem driver
> #4. Install other Dell proprietary drivers (video card, etc.)
>

> Note:
> Please do not keep starting new threads for the same problem. Post a
> problem, try the suggested solutions. If those suggestions to not work, post
> your results (and any error messages) to the same thread.
>
> When you keep starting new threads, nobody knows where you are in the
> troubleshooting process.
>

> steve
>
> "lillybellis" <lillybellis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In the ongoing saga that is my computer....
> >
> > Changed from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, and it wouldn't recognize my
> modem.
> > Downloaded the driver from Dell's website and still nothing. I decided
> > start fresh last night, and I reinstalled XP (the modem is still not
> there),
> > and now when I check the hardware in the Device Manager, there's a yellow
> > question mark next to a device called "PCI Simple Communications
> Controller"
> > I clicked on the options to update the drivers, but it said no drivers
> could
> > be found. Is this the reason for the problem with the modem? I looked
> all
> > over microsoft.com and I can't find the driver for that device. Can
> anyone
> > help me? Thanks!!!!

"lillybellis" <lillybellis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| In the ongoing saga that is my computer....
|
| Changed from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, and it wouldn't recognize my
modem.
| Downloaded the driver from Dell's website and still nothing. I decided to
| start fresh last night, and I reinstalled XP (the modem is still not
there),
| and now when I check the hardware in the Device Manager, there's a yellow
| question mark next to a device called "PCI Simple Communications
Controller"
| I clicked on the options to update the drivers, but it said no drivers
could
| be found. Is this the reason for the problem with the modem? I looked
all
| over microsoft.com and I can't find the driver for that device. Can
anyone
| help me? Thanks!!!!

May I suggest posting your problem in the Newsgroup alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

There are a number of regulars there very knowledgeable in Dell systems.
Chances are good you will find someone who has already accomplished what
you're attempting.

When posting be sure to include the make and model of your Dell computer, as
well as the make of the modem you're having problems with.

Dell Community Forums are also a good resource.
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums?~ck=mn

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

When the modem is picked up as "PCI Simple Communications Controller" it
usually means no driver or the wrong driver is present. Some modems (for
example Conexant units) have dozens of driver variations and it can be quite
difficult to find the right one. Often you need to check the chip numbers
and FCC ID on the modem and look at the manufacturers site and sites like
http://www.driverguide.com/ Checking Microsoft.com alone is a long shot.
Usually there is an XP driver out there, but it's not guaranteed. Sometimes
buying a inexpensive replacement is the best course.
--

"lillybellis" <lillybellis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the ongoing saga that is my computer....
>
> Changed from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, and it wouldn't recognize my
> modem.
> Downloaded the driver from Dell's website and still nothing. I decided to
> start fresh last night, and I reinstalled XP (the modem is still not
> there),
> and now when I check the hardware in the Device Manager, there's a yellow
> question mark next to a device called "PCI Simple Communications
> Controller"
> I clicked on the options to update the drivers, but it said no drivers
> could
> be found. Is this the reason for the problem with the modem? I looked
> all
> over microsoft.com and I can't find the driver for that device. Can
> anyone
> help me? Thanks!!!!

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

You're getting misleading advice here. There are rarely, if ever,
"motherboard driver" updates for Dells. (Dell sometimes has driver updates
for integrated peripherals, but rarely if ever "motherboard drivers."
"motherboard drivers" are sometimes an issue for VIA chipset computers like
Compaq and Benq very rarely for Intel chip set units like Dell.)
--

>I wasn't sure where I could find the motherboard driver from Dell. I
>didn't
> know which "Heading" to check under to find it - I didn't see anything in
> any
> of the driver categories that specifically said "motherboard" unless it's
> called by a different name for the driver.
>
> "joust in jest" wrote:
>
>> Did you go to Dell and obtain and install the Motherboard driver as I
>> suggested in your original post?
>> Until you provide Windows XP with a Motherboard driver, Windows will not
>> be
>> able to properly talk to your PCI bus and will, consequently, be unable
>> properly address the modem.
>>
>> The steps are as follows:
>> #1. Install Windows XP
>> #2. Install the Dell Motherboard driver
>> #3. Install the Modem driver
>> #4. Install other Dell proprietary drivers (video card, etc.)
>>

>> Note:
>> Please do not keep starting new threads for the same problem. Post a
>> problem, try the suggested solutions. If those suggestions to not work,
>> post
>> your results (and any error messages) to the same thread.
>>
>> When you keep starting new threads, nobody knows where you are in the
>> troubleshooting process.
>>

>> steve
>>
>> "lillybellis" <lillybellis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In the ongoing saga that is my computer....
>> >
>> > Changed from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, and it wouldn't recognize my
>> modem.
>> > Downloaded the driver from Dell's website and still nothing. I
>> > decided
>> > start fresh last night, and I reinstalled XP (the modem is still not
>> there),
>> > and now when I check the hardware in the Device Manager, there's a
>> > yellow
>> > question mark next to a device called "PCI Simple Communications
>> Controller"
>> > I clicked on the options to update the drivers, but it said no drivers
>> could
>> > be found. Is this the reason for the problem with the modem? I looked
>> all
>> > over microsoft.com and I can't find the driver for that device. Can
>> anyone
>> > help me? Thanks!!!!

I'm going to guess that it has died. Modems are dirt cheap. It would be in
the best interest of your sanity to buy a new one and see if that's your
problem.

Buy a well known brand (like US Robotics).

"lillybellis" <lillybellis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
In the ongoing saga that is my computer....

Changed from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, and it wouldn't recognize my modem.
Downloaded the driver from Dell's website and still nothing. I decided to
start fresh last night, and I reinstalled XP (the modem is still not there),
and now when I check the hardware in the Device Manager, there's a yellow
question mark next to a device called "PCI Simple Communications Controller"
I clicked on the options to update the drivers, but it said no drivers could
be found. Is this the reason for the problem with the modem? I looked all
over microsoft.com and I can't find the driver for that device. Can anyone
help me? Thanks!!!!

Well, the modem works - the only way I know this is because somehow I now
have XP and Windows 2000 on the computer. When I log on with Windows 2000, I
can use the modem. With XP I can't.

"Raoul" wrote:

> I'm going to guess that it has died. Modems are dirt cheap. It would be in
> the best interest of your sanity to buy a new one and see if that's your
> problem.
>
> Buy a well known brand (like US Robotics).
>
> "lillybellis" <lillybellis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the ongoing saga that is my computer....
>
> Changed from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, and it wouldn't recognize my modem.
> Downloaded the driver from Dell's website and still nothing. I decided to
> start fresh last night, and I reinstalled XP (the modem is still not there),
> and now when I check the hardware in the Device Manager, there's a yellow
> question mark next to a device called "PCI Simple Communications Controller"
> I clicked on the options to update the drivers, but it said no drivers could
> be found. Is this the reason for the problem with the modem? I looked all
> over microsoft.com and I can't find the driver for that device. Can anyone
> help me? Thanks!!!!

Find out what kind of modem you have and then search on the net for
appropriate XP drivers..

> Well, the modem works - the only way I know this is because somehow I now
> have XP and Windows 2000 on the computer. When I log on with Windows
> 2000, I
> can use the modem. With XP I can't.
>
> "Raoul" wrote:
>
>> I'm going to guess that it has died. Modems are dirt cheap. It would be
>> in
>> the best interest of your sanity to buy a new one and see if that's your
>> problem.
>>
>> Buy a well known brand (like US Robotics).
>>
>> "lillybellis" <lillybellis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> In the ongoing saga that is my computer....
>>
>> Changed from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, and it wouldn't recognize my
>> modem.
>> Downloaded the driver from Dell's website and still nothing. I decided
>> start fresh last night, and I reinstalled XP (the modem is still not
>> there),
>> and now when I check the hardware in the Device Manager, there's a yellow
>> question mark next to a device called "PCI Simple Communications
>> Controller"
>> I clicked on the options to update the drivers, but it said no drivers
>> could
>> be found. Is this the reason for the problem with the modem? I looked
>> all
>> over microsoft.com and I can't find the driver for that device. Can
>> anyone
>> help me? Thanks!!!!

GTS:

Most OEMs have customized motherboards which require customized drivers. I
don't know about DELL specifically, so I yield the floor to you.

Having said that, a quick visit to DELL reveals that if the OP is attempting
to install XP with SP2, a BIOS update is required.

steve

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:emT7V90lEHA.2612@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> You're getting misleading advice here. There are rarely, if ever,
> "motherboard driver" updates for Dells. (Dell sometimes has driver
updates
> for integrated peripherals, but rarely if ever "motherboard drivers."
> "motherboard drivers" are sometimes an issue for VIA chipset computers
like
> Compaq and Benq very rarely for Intel chip set units like Dell.)
> --
>
> "lillybellis" <lillybellis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I wasn't sure where I could find the motherboard driver from Dell. I
> >didn't
> > know which "Heading" to check under to find it - I didn't see anything
in
> > any
> > of the driver categories that specifically said "motherboard" unless
it's
> > called by a different name for the driver.
> >
> > "joust in jest" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you go to Dell and obtain and install the Motherboard driver as I
> >> suggested in your original post?
> >> Until you provide Windows XP with a Motherboard driver, Windows will
not
> >> be
> >> able to properly talk to your PCI bus and will, consequently, be unable
> >> properly address the modem.
> >>
> >> The steps are as follows:
> >> #1. Install Windows XP
> >> #2. Install the Dell Motherboard driver
> >> #3. Install the Modem driver
> >> #4. Install other Dell proprietary drivers (video card, etc.)
> >>

> >> Note:
> >> Please do not keep starting new threads for the same problem. Post a
> >> problem, try the suggested solutions. If those suggestions to not work,
> >> post
> >> your results (and any error messages) to the same thread.
> >>
> >> When you keep starting new threads, nobody knows where you are in the
> >> troubleshooting process.
> >>

> >> steve
> >>
> >> "lillybellis" <lillybellis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> modem.
> >> there),
> >> Controller"
> >> could
> >> all
> >> anyone

There's some conflicting information on Dell's website as
to whether the BIOS should be upgraded before installing
Windows XP SP2. I don't have the most up to date BIOS
installed on my Dell, and didn't update the BIOS before
installing SP2. I didn't have any problems installing
SP2, and haven't had any problems since installing (and
that was almost a month ago).