More Than Half of Consumers Haven't Heard of Windows 8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I love windows 8 on a 50" tv from the SOFA, or reclyner. It's so much easier to use my "candyboard" HTPC keyboard with a touchpad to navigate web browser, and to lauch steam then use "Big Picture" to find games easily without the use of "Magnifying glasses". To hell with your tiny "start" menu. try readng that sucker from 10 foot away on a bigscreen.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Windows 8 biggest competition is Windows 7. the vast majority of people that have Windows 7 now are happy with it and see no need to upgrade to Windows 8. Most of your avg consumors won't upgrade to an new os unless their pc comes with that OS or unless the OS that their pc came with is bad ie Vista. So this number was to be expected in the lack of interest with Windows 8, that and the media has pretty much tarnished Windows 8 rep before it even came out with the megative reviews on metro and no start menu which helped further keep peole away from upgrading. Windows 7 is the new XP it's stable reliable and does everything you need on a pc.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
One indication Win8 is not that popular is the $1.5 billion MS plan to spend to promote it. Even if MS can sell 300 million copies, that's $5 each just to cover their ads expenses. Guess word-of-mouth recommendations from peers and friends won't be that effective this time with Win8.

kristi_metal

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Well, to be honest, i think that's the reality, most people don't search the web for review on the latest hardware, don't read online reviews on latest hardware or software, they just want things to work.
Us, people that read Tom's reviews forget that not everybody are like us, they don't care if a video card is 5fps faster than the other and start quarrels on that.
I think that's the reality.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]I must be the 35percent then because I know how to use "pin to start/unpin from start" feature which replaces startmenu that I missed[/citation]
You know there's also a theory that seems to suggest that Metro is a replacement for the explorer shell, not the start menu.

Read : http://www.osnews.com/story/25951/What_s_wrong_with_Windows_8
For weeks - if not months - I've been trying to come up with a way to succinctly and accurately explain why, exactly, Windows 8 rubs me the wrong way, usability-wise. I think I finally got it.
Contrary to popular belief, Metro is not a replacement for the Start Menu. Metro is a replacement for the Explorer Shell. The Explorer Shell itself has been turned into an application. Traditional applications run within this Explorer Shell, and cannot be managed from Metro. In other words, the Explorer Shell has become an application with a multiple document interface, running in Metro.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Does it really make a difference i have not sold ONE copy and not one customer has asked about it, also all my business customers told me not to install windows 8 or server 2012 on any machine.
Everyone asks for windows 7 so i don't think i'm going to even stock windows 8 looks like a flop imo.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Can you blame them after Windows 2K and ME?[/citation]

Fortunately, I never had issues with 2K, however I do remember that ME was so bad, I could never even get my first broadband internet to connect with it. ME was my first experience with my own PC since high school (Windows 3.1, I believe) and I remember thinking how frustrating it was compared to way back then, and hoping that this wasn't what desktop computing had degraded to during my long hiatus. My wife gotten her first cell phone and it could send pictures, and we wanted desperately to send the pics to her email address and download them to the hard drive. Thanks, ME. If people are lined up anywhere now to buy a new Windows O.S., it will be new laptop owners buying Windows 7 to upgrade from Windows 8.

G

who will be interested if they try to push forward a new os now and then .

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Given that this article is sourced by Yahoo, posted by Zak Islam and that any survey made via telephone (if this was the case) probably addresses old and completely uninformed people, I call this report useless.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
People still use XP on good oldschool dualcores or even Pentium4's

For the average user, a LGA775 P4 with a gig ram under XP still runs pretty damn well for email, youtube and web...

Windows 8 maybe nice, got nice new features for touch screens... but do we really need more than Windows 7 at the present time ?

I couldn't care less about Windows 8 at the moment, so I am happy that so many don't even know if it's existence.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
If MS wanted Windows 8 to be a success they should have targeted the savy computer users. The elite power group that understands, bottlenecks, benchmarks, overclocking and all things PC. Basically the majority of the Tomshardware crowd. The simple reason being, when a novice wants to find out or understand about Windows 8 who do they go to for advise? Their Telly that spouts nonsense that no one believes anymore or their local neighborhood techie? MS did nothing to lure or entice the power user and is trying to play by Apple rules of follow the shiny new ball. They forget, Apple is the complete closed package that includes a shiny new ball. Win8 is only a part of the PC and not the shiny new ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.