[SOLVED] Most efficient way in cleaning dust inside the PC?

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
Hey all,

I was on the verge on of purchasing some compressed air spray cans from amazon and one of the purchasers recommended to buy an electric air duster blower as it saves money down the line and also it more efficient in doing the same job.

I am not sure if I am allowed to post links to products however here is what I was looking to purchase; Electric Air Duster Blower

Otherwise could please somebody with experience provide the best equipment to clean a PC with? I am primarily looking to clean the inside; GPU+GPU fans/ motherboard etc..

Regards,

Solution
I use a leaf blower every six or so weeks. I find the canned air to be well to expensive and what's the point in blowing that right back into your room/home/garage anyway.

I disconnect the machine, drop side panels and wipe with a microfiber, take the machine out to the driveway and hit it with the leaf blower on low. It has never caused damage or issue. I take the filters out of equipped machines while out there and blow/wipe them as well.

Don't use a compressor unless it is filtered for water/oil/dirt. Don't use a vacuum especially.
Those small blowers range from wonderful purchase to you could have blown harder yourself. Check for independent reviews and such more than just the "jungle site" reviews.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I use a leaf blower every six or so weeks. I find the canned air to be well to expensive and what's the point in blowing that right back into your room/home/garage anyway.

I disconnect the machine, drop side panels and wipe with a microfiber, take the machine out to the driveway and hit it with the leaf blower on low. It has never caused damage or issue. I take the filters out of equipped machines while out there and blow/wipe them as well.

Don't use a compressor unless it is filtered for water/oil/dirt. Don't use a vacuum especially.
Those small blowers range from wonderful purchase to you could have blown harder yourself. Check for independent reviews and such more than just the "jungle site" reviews.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
Solution

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022

A lot of reviews with videos show the difference and impact it makes, I am just worried if it would cause static or damage the components at all etc.

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
Static from vacuum, not blowing. We aren't talking about the Stihl commercial grade blower on high from half an inch away. You don't want to blow a fan blade off.
In regards to blowing at the GPU fans, how should I go about this with a electric air dust blower? Primarily I dont want dust in the GPU etc

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
When I hit my system(s) with the blower I typically go around the case, a shot at the fans and fins and just circle around until I don't see dust blowing off and things look clean. There is something to be said for an occasional deep clean where you disassemble and physically remove dust with wipes and rags and qtips and such, but the general dusting I don't go that far.

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
When I hit my system(s) with the blower I typically go around the case, a shot at the fans and fins and just circle around until I don't see dust blowing off and things look clean. There is something to be said for an occasional deep clean where you disassemble and physically remove dust with wipes and rags and qtips and such, but the general dusting I don't go that far.

Youre not concerned on shooting the fans? The bearings etc?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Youre not concerned on shooting the fans? The bearings etc?

Not at all. Been doing this for years and had exactly NO problems that I could specifically say the blowing caused. I would once again restate, I am not getting half and inch off the machine and blowing with the strongest leaf blower available. Even at that just about the only thing I think you could do would be to break a fan blade off.

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
Not at all. Been doing this for years and had exactly NO problems that I could specifically say the blowing caused. I would once again restate, I am not getting half and inch off the machine and blowing with the strongest leaf blower available. Even at that just about the only thing I think you could do would be to break a fan blade off.

Thing is I have noticed a thin later of dust gathered on the back of the fans blades so I am thinking how should I go about this.

Obviously be a feet or two away from the pc when using the air blower.

I use a similar electric duster.
I was running out of canned air all too frequently.
The airflow is really strong so you need to hold the unit back some to moderate it.
Then, when dusting fans, you need to immobilize the fan.
If you do not, it will spin up past it's design limits and damage the fan.
I hold the blade with my finger or, if that is not possible, I stick a thin screwdriver in the fan to keep it from moving.

In time some dust will adhere to a fan blade so your only option is to use a cloth to wipe it off.

The really best solution is prevention via a good set of washable filters on the case fan intakes.

Reactions: Nighthawk117

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
At some point inbetween the maint. cleanings you have to go physical contact, rags, wipes, etc. as stated above. There is no way around having to do so from time to time and can be increased if you smoke, vape, burn incense, have those glade plug ins nearby....

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I do it mostly by hand. Like, screw it, you can't completely avoid doing it. I'll still have an air can on the side to use on the psu, radiator(s) and air cooler heatsink.
Prepare a tub of soapy water, swish the radiators, air cooler heatsink, filters, and mesh panels through it, and dry.
Wipe down the fans and the chassis frame by hand.
Take a soft paintbrush, dip it in alcohol and pass it over the mobo and gpu PCB with it.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I do it mostly by hand. Like, screw it, you can't completely avoid doing it. I'll still have an air can on the side to use on the psu, radiator(s) and air cooler heatsink.
Prepare a tub of soapy water, swish the radiators, air cooler heatsink, filters, and mesh panels through it, and dry.
Wipe down the fans and the chassis frame by hand.
Take a soft paintbrush, dip it in alcohol and pass it over the mobo and gpu PCB with it.

A similar solution is my once a year or so and the when I am (re)building or configuring a system.

Dec 31, 2021

I agree here. I've used a Homelite electric blower on low for years. Again you're not sticking right next to the fans and whatnot, but you'd be surprised how much dust comes out after 6 months. I don't care how many dust filters you have. I take it outside like @punkncat I don't want that in my house.

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
Ok I am deciding to buy this; Electric Air Duster Blower

If I stick to using every few months or so, I should be good with maintaining the pc?

Thing is my PC was also pre built, I would prefer not to move or take anything apart because if anything happens my warrenty then becomes void. In the case of cleaning the PC with this blower, how close/far should I be to the PC when the side panels are opened up?

Dec 31, 2021
Ok I am deciding to buy this; Electric Air Duster Blower

If I stick to using every few months or so, I should be good with maintaining the pc?

Thing is my PC was also pre built, I would prefer not to move or take anything apart because if anything happens my warrenty then becomes void. In the case of cleaning the PC with this blower, how close/far should I be to the PC when the side panels are opened up?

It's really a "feel for" type of thing. If you're getting something like this

BLOWER

Start out far away (few feet) and get a feel for how much air is moving across the fans and case. You'll definitely know if you get too close. If the fans sound like one of those party things you blow in that go zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. You're too close.

Reactions: Rokinamerica