Most Major Antivirus Programs Bypassed By The CIA, Shows WikiLeaks Document

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is why are we letting these companies get away with this. You know for a fact that they won't just use this against foreign governments. They have shown over and over again this will use this against the American people without even bothering to get a warrant.

G

I reported a virus to a few companies over 8 months ago, with binaries, that I detected on a system, mostly through luck. Even today, the same binaries aren't detected. I thought it might be incompetence, now I'm not so sure.

lun471k

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Here is the AV list ordered alphabetically:
AVG
Avast
Avira
Bitdefender
ClamAV
Comodo
EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit)
ESET
F-Secure
GDATA
Kaspersky
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
McAfee
Microsoft Security Essentials
Norton
Panda Security
Rising
Symantec
Trend Micro
Zemana Antilogger
Zone Alarm

:)

Colin_10

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
I'm not really concerned that the CIA can hack my computer. With all of the other problems we face in keeping our computers secure, the last people I am worried about keeping my computer safe from is the US government.

I would be.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
There was also a "whoops" article in 2014(or so) Where Kaspersky was picking up one of BND's trojans. The solution in the next update was to stop detecting it lol.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Software vulnerabilities and backdoors are two very different things. If you read about how they deal with AV programs, it's pretty clear they're taking advantage of actual vulnerabilities, rather than actually having a backdoor. That's not to say that backdoors don't exist in some software/hardware, but the majority of breaches are from exploits rather than backdoor access.

It's especially hard to locate and patch up exploits when the people doing the exploiting aren't talking about it - an unknown vulnerability is pretty hard to patch. Maybe some of these documents will help software firms better seal up their software. However, these docs are somewhat old in many cases too, and as the article points out they may not apply to the current version. Of course that also means that we don't know what new exploits they are using at this point.

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
there were two guys that came up with an encryption system/program that was so good the CIA asked (read forced) them to stop then hired 'em to work for them...can't remember they're names but do remember the article discussing it...it was so good a system that they (CIA) couldn't break it.

G

Trucrypt. And you're confusing agencies. The N s A shut it down. It still lives as V eracrypt, but that one hasn't been audited like the first. Conjecture: ( And they didn't hire the guy, he had cancer, they bought him out for treatment. He might or might not be alive today.) No modern encryption can be broken, not in a billion years, not with quantum computing. One problem is getting access to uncompromised software. but even then, well, a $5 lead pipe to your kneecap will make you spill out everything you know.

Another problem is that the local thug in your neighborhood will take the lead pipe to your kneecap, and get your bank account password, but the top government agencies can't break into a file that might contain t error ist plans.

Personally, I approve of every backdoor the governments wants to put in to analyse or meta-filter and predict harmful things. At the same time, you see so many rogue governments employees, Snowden and etc. as a start, that are clearly traitors to the nation, and then you might wonder how many others are selling your business plans to chinese companies, how many are leaking your proprietary tech, your customer info, to the highest bidders.

I've dealt a bit in this personally, and my opinion is that people like Snowden should be executed. He's a traitor to the nation, I don't get how anyone could defend him. At the same time, he shows that low moral people are given access to too much power all the time, and probably routinely abuse it for monetary gain.

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

Kinda like most arsonist are firefighters

Status
Not open for further replies.