[SOLVED] Most peculiar goings-on.

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
Pc will randomly slow to a crawling speeds with settings not opening etc... when i look at my notification area both my Antivirus(panda) and Windows defender shows a big massive X like its not turned or connected.

As mentioned pc is unresponsive and wont shut down even when i select restart from start menu... so i need to do a hard shutdown.

When i boot system back up i run both a virus scan and a malware bytes scan both come back good finding nothing.... however at some point this issue happens again... the security/antivirus randomly disabling with the X scream virus/hack to me but apparently not?

Any ideas ?

Solution
Why (And how) are you running Panda antivirus AND Windows defender? You shouldn't be able to run both simultaneously. If any 3rd party antivirus is installed Windows defender should automatically disable itself and assign all scan functions to the 3rd party utility. Besides which, Windows defender is likely BETTER than Panda in any case. I would recommend that you UNINSTALL Panda antivirus and run ONLY Windows defender.

Current iterations of Windows defender are not the weak, watered down tools from years past. Recent reviews of all the top antivirus/antimalware utilities show Windows defender either at the top or within the top three. Since it's already built into Windows anyhow, it makes very little sense to run anything else. I...

Colif

Win 11 Master
try running this and get a 3rd opinion - https://www.safer-networking.org/download/

do you run Defender as firewall as its not wise to run two AV together.

try a clean boot and see if it keeps happening, this won't block defender -
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
Sorry i have more info than original post if it helps.

All of a sudden my PC has started to behave badly with no explanantion or sign of what could be causing it.
Here is an example of what happens....
Start PC up and feels fine within 30 mins programs stop responding/cant close them.... settings wont open.... Task manager/control/alt/delete comes up with a failed to load message... Antivirus disables itself.... both my installed antivirus and the windows defender.
Gets so bad that I need to hard crash the pc and again after a restart everything Is good to go again....

Antivirus scan = nothing found
Malware Bytes = nothing found
Rootkit scan = nothing found
Dism = All good
Sfc/ Scan = nothing found
Memtest = 4 passes no problems.
This has began happening for no reason...
Temps dont exceed 45c.... so not an overheating issue...
When i say it gets slow i mean its crippling... the fact task manager cant even load points to a real issue.
Any ideas ? thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
does it happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button

this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

settings won't work but its an interesting experiment to see if it happens with just windows running
Defender should still work in safe mode
what are specs of the PC?

Why (And how) are you running Panda antivirus AND Windows defender? You shouldn't be able to run both simultaneously. If any 3rd party antivirus is installed Windows defender should automatically disable itself and assign all scan functions to the 3rd party utility. Besides which, Windows defender is likely BETTER than Panda in any case. I would recommend that you UNINSTALL Panda antivirus and run ONLY Windows defender.

Current iterations of Windows defender are not the weak, watered down tools from years past. Recent reviews of all the top antivirus/antimalware utilities show Windows defender either at the top or within the top three. Since it's already built into Windows anyhow, it makes very little sense to run anything else. I have lifetime subscriptions to Malwarebytes, Spybot search and destroy antivirus/antimalware and a couple of others, and I don't even use them anymore because using them is simply adding bloat to the system where none is a necessity. Defender works perfectly fine on it's own. It is ALL I have used in the last three or four years. I have had ZERO problems. If you HAVE problems while using Defender, then it's due to poor browsing or other habits, and you almost certainly would have had the same problem no matter WHAT utility you had installed. So again, no point.

Plus, there is always a significant chance that your antivirus may be the culprit here. I'd uninstall it, then run Windows update to ensure that Windows defender has the latest virus definitions, and then run a full system scan. Then run an OFFLINE scan.

I'd also make sure, using HWinfo, that while you THINK you don't have a thermal problem, you really don't. The reason I say that is because MANY people believe they don't have a thermal problem because they see CPU core temperatures that are within specifications and think that's all there is to it, not realizing that they might ACTUALLY be overheating and the system is throttling the CPU to keep temperatures in check. Since you don't clearly indicate WHAT temp isn't exceeding 45 degrees, or what utility you are using to determine that, it's almost the same as not saying anything at all.

It would also be helpful, as a place to start, if you actually listed ALL of your hardware specifications including CPU, motherboard, memory kit, power supply, CPU cooler, case, number of case fans, location of each case fan, orientation (Intake or exhaust) of each case fan for each location and the currently installed BIOS version. Making sure all drivers for the onboard motherboard components, for the graphics card and for any peripherals, are all up to date, manually, not relying on any "automatic" utilities to tell you if they are up to date or not, would be another very good thing to do.

Solution