[SOLVED] Most powerful processor with Intel Z170/Z270 Chipset

groran

Commendable
Aug 7, 2019
What is the most powerful fastest Intel processor that I use on an Intel Z170/Z270 Chipset MOBO? Should I just change the mobo for the new processor anyway? thanks

groran

Commendable
Aug 7, 2019
7700k generally.

What motherboard? What are the rest of your specs? What is your reason for want to upgrade?
I want to get win11 and my CPU is not on the list of supported. I know I can still probably install win11 but w/o updates. I wanted a setup that would support updates and all. My rig is only 3 years old and I thought when I bought it, I would be set up for years to come for my games like iRacing and it is good for years with that sim, but evidently not for windows upgrades. Also, I don't want to make that mistake again so later if windows come out with win12 or 13, I would be ok. My rig is actually pretty good for what I do. I'm doing 140fps at the lowest and up to 200 with 165hz with 1440p with three 27 inch 1440p 165hz monitors using a 1080 gpu. I just wanted to get win11, the latest and greatest you know.

If the rig is fine for what you need it for, don't upgrade. Windows 11 is just windows 10 with a fresh coat of paint and some minor tweaks here and there. I would just reccomend keeping Windows 10, as you really aren't missing out on anything by doing so.

That being said, you can install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware and still get updates perfectly fine currently. Even my Athlon 64 system from 2005 downloaded and installed an update to Windows 11 when I was testing it.

Nov 2, 2021
Just came off my 7700k here. I had it at 5ghz @ 1.365v for the whole time I owned it, and the only time it let me down was in games optimized for 8c+ (Like BFV).

I decided to keep my z170 motherboard and pick up one of these QTJ1 Comet lake mutants. All I had to do was flash the bios of my motherboard and now I have an 8c/16t cpu on a Gigabyte z170x gaming 5!

Paid $150 for it and it's worth every penny. I'd also like to note that I had Windows 11 running with no problems at all on the 7700k, although paying that much for a 4c/8t chip seems like kind of a waste nowadays.

groran

Commendable
Aug 7, 2019
That's good to hear then. I'll keep my rig as is. thanks to all of you knowledgeable guys. This is going to save me lots of bucks and trouble, thanks again!

Nov 2, 2021
That's good to hear then. I'll keep my rig as is. thanks to all of you knowledgeable guys. This is going to save me lots of bucks and trouble, thanks again!
Follow this guide if you want windows 11 on any array of hardware.

I've done it on my computer running a 7700k (Incompatible), and my friend did it on his 8 year old Xeon 1680v2 with no issues. Just be sure to get all the optional updates and you're good to go!

TRENDING THREADS