Mother board receives power. All other peripherals don't.

mrmelod

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
I'm helping a friend build a computer for his friend. I was not present during the build until the issue came up.

Here's the parts list (I'm only going on what I saw so if I'm missing any detailed specs I apologize)

-Asus ROG Maximus hero IX
-Intel I7 7700k
-Corsair vengeance ddr4 2x8gig
-Corsair AC860 PSU
-coolermaster HAF X full tower
-H110i corsair CPU liquid cooling fan
-Asus 1080ti
-ASUS DVD drive, hdd (size unknown), & 500 gig m.2 sata drive Samsung EVO 9**.

These are the components I can think of so if I'm missing something I apologize, like i said I only looked at them.

The issue we are having is that the HDD, CPU liquid cooling fan (and I mean the fans below the radiator) optical drive were receiving no power whatsoever. No indication of movement of fans at startup, no lights on the hdd or optical drive.

However, the system posts and we can enter the bios. In boot menu it can only see the M.2 drive as bootable. My friend prior to this did upgrade the bios to the newest version. Still no fix, looked everywhere for any settings in the bios but didn't have anything to relate to the issue.

Also used a 1080ti but took it off to see if that would change anything. But still the same symptoms. Power is going to the mobo and gpu and getting display output from either one.

Also the psu fan is spinning at startup. The psu fan (ax860)states in the guide that the fan would spin at 60% load. We've tested a AX850 psu and still had an issue with the power to the peripherals (HDD, optical drive)but that psu fan was not spinning at startup.

Any ideas what's going on or what's defective. My friend will most likely return both psu and mobo but if any of you guys in the community have an idea please I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,