Mother board scratch causing issue?

Nov 9, 2018
There is a scratch on the back of my motherboard, a picture is attached. Components on the front have change color, the spot gets very hot, very fast and nothing happens when the pc boots up.

lge0pq

https://prnt.sc/lge0pq
lge28z

https://prnt.sc/lge28z

Solution
Nobody can tell you for sure, but there is always a chance of causing either a broken circuit which would cause something to not work at all or a short circuit, which would definitely cause some heat. Being as that is directly next to the CPU socket it would not really be unusual for the traces in that area to be pretty hot but if they have gotten hot enough to discolor, which I'm not seeing in those pictures, then you could be right.

If everything runs normal otherwise and if you have normal temps for the entire system based on the sensor data in the bios and in windows running HWinfo, then I'd say it's ok. If the board is damaged, you need to replace it. There is no feasible way to repair damage to the traces on a motherboard...
Nobody can tell you for sure, but there is always a chance of causing either a broken circuit which would cause something to not work at all or a short circuit, which would definitely cause some heat. Being as that is directly next to the CPU socket it would not really be unusual for the traces in that area to be pretty hot but if they have gotten hot enough to discolor, which I'm not seeing in those pictures, then you could be right.

If everything runs normal otherwise and if you have normal temps for the entire system based on the sensor data in the bios and in windows running HWinfo, then I'd say it's ok. If the board is damaged, you need to replace it. There is no feasible way to repair damage to the traces on a motherboard without very special high end equipment and probably not then as it would likely be cheaper to simply replace.

Solution
Yeah, those scratches could be affecting a VRM control circuit. If the damage is just superficial, then the broken traces can be repaired. The problem is, the components causing the excessive heat would also need to be checked and replaced if necessary, along with any other casualties taken out by them. Looks like an out of control MOSFET is discoloring those chokes.

I would tend to agree, as I said earlier, that a new board might be a foregone conclusion. Probably not a very high dollar board anyhow since there are no heatsinks on the VRMs, not that that matters, but at least it's not a 300 dollar board down the drain.