[SOLVED] Motherboard advice

Jul 16, 2020
okay so im doing my first build in almost 10 years. Last build this forum gave me great advise (obviously if it lasted me almost 10 years lol) and hoping to get some input on what I'm looking at. My main question is the motherboard. Im going with either the ryzen 7 3700x or the Ryzen 5 3600x, I assume a 750 watt psu should be sufficient.

Motherboards
ASRock X570 TAICHI AM4 AMD Premium X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER AMD Ryzen 3000 PCIe 4.0 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.2 AMD X570 ATX Motherboard
ASUS AMD AM4 ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0, 2.5Gbps LAN, Dual M.2, SATA 6Gb/s

Is there a reason to do a b550 vs x570 except for cost? Would any of the new mobos be better than the current x570's? Im steering towards the asrock as i like the multiple m2 support. Also the usb 3.2 support. I'm trying to stay as forward thinking as i can, not that I really upggrade much duing the life of my comp but you never know. Input would be appreciated.

Solution
B550 basically has everything that X570 has, but it DOESN'T have the annoying chipset fans, so that's a plus right from the start.

Of those three boards, the Crosshair VIII Hero is easily the better board, but I'd steer clear of it because as we've seen over the last year or two, for myself, many members and ALSO other members of the moderation team, ASUS has been seriously lacking when it comes to supporting their products adequately when there are problems AND there have BEEN problems. Primarily, on motherboards. I fought with them for two months to get a board RMA'd, and just got it back after paying to ship it to them, just to find out that they won't replace it and can't repair it, because the problem is that the ASUS Overclock...
B550 basically has everything that X570 has, but it DOESN'T have the annoying chipset fans, so that's a plus right from the start.

Of those three boards, the Crosshair VIII Hero is easily the better board, but I'd steer clear of it because as we've seen over the last year or two, for myself, many members and ALSO other members of the moderation team, ASUS has been seriously lacking when it comes to supporting their products adequately when there are problems AND there have BEEN problems. Primarily, on motherboards. I fought with them for two months to get a board RMA'd, and just got it back after paying to ship it to them, just to find out that they won't replace it and can't repair it, because the problem is that the ASUS Overclock profile feature that allows you to save various BIOS "profiles", freezes the system every time you save a profile and they claim that that isn't covered by the warranty even though it is expressly one of the advertised features of the board. Been a lot of other unhappy ASUS customers around here as well including one that was sent a replacement board with a broken integrated I/O shield.

Gigabyte has made some funky, clunky changes to some of it's BIOS features over the last few generations and while they are generally very good boards, there are just some things that leave a lot of question marks in terms of "why" are we doing it like this and why are some features found on most other boards not here?

So I think the Taichi is the better option of those three boards, all things considered, despite the Crosshair Hero being the better board overall.

But, I'd really consider a B550 as you can get a good number of them with very robust power delivery packages that either rival or exceed what many of the X570 boards have, as well as multiple M.2 support, and for generally less money in most cases. It might not be that apparent right now though because the prices of EVERYTHING are unusually high due to the lack of supply from China over the last few months, which has basically broken the PC hardware supply chain for everything other than memory or monitors, both of which mainly come from South Korea, not China.

Reactions: CorpRebel
Solution