Motherboard and CPU Upgrade

Elian_2

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
So I will be upgrading my current Motherboard and CPU. They are the MSI a88x g45 gaming and amd a6 6400k. The video card is the msi rx 480 4gb. And Ill also be upgrading ram from ddr3 to ddr4 (8gbs for now), will upgrade later to 16gb. The new processor that ill be buying is the intel i5 6500 and the motherboard is an asus h170 pro gaming. My question is if i need to format my hd. Only important things i need saved are family photos and videos. Do i need to back up my copy of windows 7 or should i just buy it again since its pretty dirt cheap for Windows 7 Premium. So should i just put all photos and videos in external harddrive, boot computer off and follow new mobo instructions to install ? Any help is appreciated

Solution
You should definitely backup your data before touching your hardware for the upgrade, having an external drive is always handy for that. Also please bear in mind that if you intend to use the same Windows key you have right now, you first need to deactivate it on current hardware so you can activate it on the new one. Please find how to do that in the link below:

http://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to-uninstall-your-windows-product-key-before-you-sell-your-pc/

Happy New Year.

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
put that stuff in the cloud for free and get win 10 for your new system. go all msi. I do, after having problems with ASUS. While that may have been just MY experience, I've had no probs with MSI in it's current gen.

You may need to get another Windows key because Windows will notice a hard ware change. You may be able to contact Microsoft and let them know your old motherboard was bad and may allow the change.

If you are making upgrades, I would ALWAYS backup data that I have.

notlim981

Distinguished
You should definitely backup your data before touching your hardware for the upgrade, having an external drive is always handy for that. Also please bear in mind that if you intend to use the same Windows key you have right now, you first need to deactivate it on current hardware so you can activate it on the new one. Please find how to do that in the link below:

http://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to-uninstall-your-windows-product-key-before-you-sell-your-pc/

Happy New Year.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Just backup your data and format your drive and do a fresh windows install.

Your copy of Windows 7 should work, however Windows 10 is significantly better and worth buying.

notlim981

Distinguished

Please be careful with sites that sell Windows licence key for such cheap price. Scammers usually take advantage of it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Do not purchase from places like this. They are known for selling stolen keys or keys that microsoft later invalidates because they were not sold via the proper channels.

Win 10 license can be carried to new hardware, however he doesn't have Win 10.

There's a workaround to get win 10 which while not unlawful or illegal is kind of slightly dishonest at worst.

I will not post info here in case its not allowed but feel free to pm me.

To reiterate I'm in not talking about cracked or pirated copies OR obtaining a cheap key from one of the resellers - its a legit way with an authentic & validated upgrade to win 10.

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Good point, but I checked the forums before using them and they had a good rep and I tried them. Verdict? It worked and my identity was left intact, which was the cred they had when I checked online before I used them.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Just because it hasn't happened to you (yet...) doesn't mean it won't happen. We deal with people getting screwed by those types of keys almost daily here.

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I understand. Risks o plenty in online shopping. I'd prefer free like linux, but linux is a pita and has way less utility for gamers. So in the end we invariably get butt-poked by MS. I'm a bit tired of the hundreds of bucks I've spent on Windows over the years.

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Won't matter since it's a new install. Just install the new stuff that comes with the board. If you want a handy tool I sometimes use something like this: https://ninite.com/ that has lots of stuff most people use and ou can just check off what you need and it will do the rest.