Question Motherboard and GPU compatibility ?

Jun 2, 2024
Motherboard: ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI)
GPU: GeForce RTX™ 4070 SUPER EAGLE OC 12G

Are these compatible? Im kinda finding mixed information online. I upgraded from my 3060ti (which ran fine) installed the 4070 and my PC isnt detecting the 4070 even though its getting power (lights up etc but monitors dont display) checked the PC and it doesnt even seem to be detecting it. It also came with a 16 pin (into GPU) into two 2x8 into power supply. The two 2x8 is female connector which ive never seen before (maybe its just the 4000 series thing) so I had to dig through my box of power cables and find 2 that would connect to the female end and then into the power supply (1000w) and still nothing. Updated BIOS. Still not detecting GPU. So my question is are they even compatible?

There is no compatibility issue with that setup.
It also came with a 16 pin (into GPU) into two 2x8 into power supply. The two 2x8 is female connector which ive never seen before (maybe its just the 4000 series thing) so I had to dig through my box of power cables and find 2 that would connect to the female end and then into the power supply (1000w) and still nothing.
Were these power cables the ones that came with this specific PSU?

How was your 3060 Ti getting power?

PCIe power connectors have been a thing for over a decade and the adapter that comes with the 40 series just adapts the 12VHPWR/12V-2x6 to PCIe power.

Jun 2, 2024
There is no compatibility issue with that setup.

Were these power cables the ones that came with this specific PSU?

How was your 3060 Ti getting power?

PCIe power connectors have been a thing for over a decade and the adapter that comes with the 40 series just adapts the 12VHPWR/12V-2x6 to PCIe power.
Yes these were the power cables that came with it. They were short though and required additional power cables to reach the power supply. The3060ti had normal power cables to connect to the power supply.
442471491-1648155342591267-5255199424027877555-n.jpg

Yes these were the power cables that came with it. They were short though and required additional power cables to reach the power supply. The3060ti had normal power cables to connect to the power supply.
I guess I just don't understand why you didn't use the same cables from your 3060 Ti and plug them into the adapter.

All of the 40 series cards I've seen have a light that comes on if there's not enough/missing power. So I'd expect to see that if it was related to your power connection.

Does the card show any indication of powering up with either lights and/or fans spinning?

Jun 2, 2024
I guess I just don't understand why you didn't use the same cables from your 3060 Ti and plug them into the adapter.

All of the 40 series cards I've seen have a light that comes on if there's not enough/missing power. So I'd expect to see that if it was related to your power connection.

Does the card show any indication of powering up with either lights and/or fans spinning?
The cables from the 60ti dont plug into the 4070 thats why. The 4070 is a 16 pin into the GPU that splits into two 4x2 female ends. The 3060ti does not. Yes it lights up, like in the picture.

Yes it lights up, like in the picture.
Do any of the motherboard Q-LED lights stay on (they're underneath the seven-segment display at the top right)?

White/third in is video.

Does the seven-segment display get stuck on any specific code?

If your CPU has integrated video you could try that to see if the video card is detected in the BIOS and/or Windows.

Motherboard: ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI)
GPU: GeForce RTX™ 4070 SUPER EAGLE OC 12G

Are these compatible? Im kinda finding mixed information online. I upgraded from my 3060ti (which ran fine) installed the 4070 and my PC isnt detecting the 4070 even though its getting power (lights up etc but monitors dont display) checked the PC and it doesnt even seem to be detecting it. It also came with a 16 pin (into GPU) into two 2x8 into power supply. The two 2x8 is female connector which ive never seen before (maybe its just the 4000 series thing) so I had to dig through my box of power cables and find 2 that would connect to the female end and then into the power supply (1000w) and still nothing. Updated BIOS. Still not detecting GPU. So my question is are they even compatible?

make and model of power supply

those adapters are a pos ive had 1 or 2 of them fail due to just poor quality control.

Jun 2, 2024
Do any of the motherboard Q-LED lights stay on (they're underneath the seven-segment display at the top right)?

White/third in is video.

Does the seven-segment display get stuck on any specific code?

If your CPU has integrated video you could try that to see if the video card is detected in the BIOS and/or Windows.
Ive tried BIOS and it doesnt pick up the GPU. Im not sure what you mean by seven-segment display code.
Do the PCIE connectors come from two separate cables, or one cable that ends in a Y splitter? Try using two PCIE cables.
The only cable that came with the GPU is the 16pin Y splitter. I have two separate PCIE cables into thr splitter and into the power supply.

Its an ASUS 1000W. Im at work so dont know the exact model.

this would work better part number if you need to look somewhere else for it M-PRTS-16P3-N60KW-5PW-R
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/cab...m-16-pin-12vhpwr-to-3x-8-pin-pcie-for-asus-se

this cable plugs directly into your power supply to the card gets rid of the nasty y adapter.
those adapter dont bend very well and you dont have alot of room near your side panel this can cause them to fail,

even the wire i mentioned above recomends not bending them something like 35mm of space in the turn.

what the advise said for my cable.

https://d33v4339jhl8k0.cloudfront.n.../635fb3569171a91e374a58dc/file-21wxTH9g8w.png

Its an ASUS 1000W. Im at work so dont know the exact model.
If it's an Asus PSU why is there an EVGA cable plugged into the video card power adapter?
Ive tried BIOS and it doesnt pick up the GPU.
How did you get into the BIOS if the card isn't working? Did you use the integrated graphics? What are you looking at in the BIOS that is indicating the card isn't there/working (Asus doesn't have a BIOS manual for this model and I'm mostly familiar with MSI/Gigabyte)?
Im not sure what you mean by seven-segment display code.
Upper right of your board is the digital readout that shows two sets of characters Asus calls it a Q-code, but they're seven-segment displays.

Jun 2, 2024
this would work better part number if you need to look somewhere else for it M-PRTS-16P3-N60KW-5PW-R
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/cab...m-16-pin-12vhpwr-to-3x-8-pin-pcie-for-asus-se

this cable plugs directly into your power supply to the card gets rid of the nasty y adapter.
those adapter dont bend very well and you dont have alot of room near your side panel this can cause them to fail,

even the wire i mentioned above recomends not bending them something like 35mm of space in the turn.

what the advise said for my cable.

https://d33v4339jhl8k0.cloudfront.n.../635fb3569171a91e374a58dc/file-21wxTH9g8w.png
I bought one but it wont fit into the power supply. Unfortunately im at work and cant check the part number.

Jun 2, 2024
If it's an Asus PSU why is there an EVGA cable plugged into the video card power adapter?

How did you get into the BIOS if the card isn't working? Did you use the integrated graphics? What are you looking at in the BIOS that is indicating the card isn't there/working (Asus doesn't have a BIOS manual for this model and I'm mostly familiar with MSI/Gigabyte)?

Upper right of your board is the digital readout that shows two sets of characters Asus calls it a Q-code, but they're seven-segment displays.
My mobo has integrated graphics so I was able to get into BIOS and check. I also got the drivers etc and updated BIOS and still not reading GPU

Last edited:
The ONLY power supply cables that should be used are the original cables that came with the psu.
Cables can be very different. Order replacements directly from the psu maker.
"compatible" cables are not always compatible.
Non supported cables may not work, and could actually be dangerous.

Reactions: 35below0

TRENDING THREADS