[SOLVED] motherboard and ram speed for 3700X

seankor

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
I am looking for a reasonable motherboard for non gaming build. So GPU is really not important, no overclocking, but need to support m.2 drive and up to 64GB of RAM at least. Is there a huge difference between B450 chipset and B550?
How important is RAM speed really if not gaming or not really going for some performance, it must just handle lot of small apps and VM's, so it seems to me it is not so important. Would DDR4 2666 be ok or would better do 3000 or 3200 even? Price is quite a difference
Do wanna go for reliability and quality though, thank you!

Solution
I am looking for a reasonable motherboard for non gaming build. So GPU is really not important, no overclocking, but need to support m.2 drive and up to 64GB of RAM at least. Is there a huge difference between B450 chipset and B550?
How important is RAM speed really if not gaming or not really going for some performance, it must just handle lot of small apps and VM's, so it seems to me it is not so important. Would DDR4 2666 be ok or would better do 3000 or 3200 even? Price is quite a difference
b550 MBs are newer and guaranteed to work with 3000 and 4000 series Ryten. Other differences are support for PCIe 4 and with it faster NVME. They also seem to be built better...
b550 MBs are newer and guaranteed to work with 3000 and 4000 series Ryten. Other differences are support for PCIe 4 and with it faster NVME. They also seem to be built better and with sturdier VRM and cooling than average b450.
For b450 boards I would suggest MSI b450 with MAX extension.
As for RAM, 3600MHz seems to give Ryzen best performance but for non gaming purposes 3000 or 3200MHz should be fine and money saved put to more RAM rather than it's speed.
3700x does not have iGPU built in so choice of MB video outputs is not important, you need a dedicated GPU anyway.

Reactions: seankor
Solution