Question Motherboard - Asus Prime Z390-A - RAID Question

rozel

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Hi all - I'm upgrading my old Windows 7 PC which has an Asus P5K Deluxe Mobo and which has installed a 4-drive RAID 10 storage array. This utilises Intel's Rapid Storage Technology. I'm unable to find information relating to "transferring my current RAID array to my new Asus Prime Z390-A. I really don't want the bother of backing everything up, then rebuilding the array from scratch on my new Mobo. They are standard SATA HDD's and although I can see reference to Intel's Rapid Storage Technology in the manual - does this cover connecting to the SATA ports? I'm hoping to download a driver from Intel and load this, when installing my new Windows 10 os. Then simply plugging in the 4 existing drives and hope they are recognised as is when booting up.

Will this be possible?

Thanks in advance

You need to enable RAID in the BIOS of your new motherboard. As long as you are going from Intel RAID to Intel RAID. The new motherboard should simply detect the existing RAID. As far as I recall no further interaction is needed. Maybe you'll need to open the RAID utility during boot to accept them. But you shouldn't need to make a new array.

Your manual should indicate which SATA ports are for the Intel controller. Often times they are color coded. You'll also need to check your manual to see what ports are disabled if an M.2 SSD is installed.

I think Intel RAID now works across the CPU direct SATA ports and those on the chipset. Although I'd probably try to keep them all on the chipset ports.

rozel

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Thank you so much, very helpful indeed. Having looked again at the manual (in more detail this time lol) there are 6 x SATA 6 Gb/s connectors and 2 x M.2 sockets (M.2_1 + M.2_2). My boot disc will be a 512 Gb XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SSD. The manual states "when the M.2_1 socket is operating in SATA mode, the number 2 SATA port will be disabled". As a boot disc, what mode do I select in the BIOS? I'm just doing my research right now having purchased my parts at the weekend. So I haven't waided through all the BIOS options. Will I run the boot SSD in PCIe 3.0 x 4 mode? Both the M.2 sockets operate in this mode but the M.2_1 socket also runs in SATA mode. I have a Samsung 840Pro SSD which I will use for further storage which will use one of the SATA ports. So I guess that I will use SATA ports 3 to 6 for my RAID array and either port 1 or port 2 for the Samsung SSD. Since I last built a PC, things have moved on so much and am starting to learn again, so apologise if all this sounds rather basic. Hope you can help some more.

Thanks again in advance.

rozel

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Thanks all for your replies - the installation of my Motherboard/CPU/Cooler/Memory and all my devices, including my new m.2 SSD went like a breeze. No need for "driver Install" when loading Windows 10 and my system flies :)

rozel

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
My existing 4 RAID 10 drives, yes. Seamless. But I installed Windows first in AHCI mode after which I changed to Intel RST and fitted the drives. Files and folders all seen straight away on boot.

Just loving this motherboard :)