[SOLVED] Motherboard back panel CPU capacitor fell off.

Solution
Well...it's mostly off already. I'd remove it totally, but keep it.

Many MLCC's are used as decoupling and redundant power line filtering. They're nice to have but...redundant. That's the odds-on case for that capacitor...but it may not be. If it doesn't work and stay stable go ahead and have someone re-solder it. Any shop that does electronics repairs will have a drawer or two full of them, just show them your picture and the part you took off and they'll know what to do.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Capacitors, or any other components soldered to the board, don't just 'fall off'. You hit that SMD hard enough with something to break a solder joint and physically bend the other solder joint.

To answer the 'asked' question, yes it's important, it'll be part of the power delivery/regulatory system used by the cpu to power or modulate power inside the cpu.

To answer the unasked question, not sure if Asus will cover that under warranty as it's obvious physical damage caused by user, not a manufacturing defect.

Many MLCC's are used as decoupling and redundant power line filtering. They're nice to have but...redundant. That's the odds-on case for that capacitor...but it may not be. If it doesn't work and stay stable go ahead and have someone re-solder it. Any shop that does electronics repairs will have a drawer or two full of them, just show them your picture and the part you took off and they'll know what to do.

Solution
Oct 24, 2021

The computer is working fine. I don't know how long ago this happened. I should've clarified. When I removed the old cooler I noticed it. It was already like that. Its been working and is currently right now. So I guess it should be fine. Thank you

Shalou

Prominent
Sep 17, 2021
The computer is working fine. I don't know how long ago this happened. I should've clarified. When I removed the old cooler I noticed it. It was already like that. Its been working and is currently right now. So I guess it should be fine. Thank you
I don't know if this works the same with motherboards but I had a similar issue with my CPU. It had 4 broken capacitors. I got a broken CPU and got it's capacitors soldered into my CPU. If you can do the same maybe it will have less chance of causing problems