Motherboard Bundle Installation

rv10

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Hi Guys,

I have my Current PC and it performs pretty well but the CPU, Mobo and RAM could do with updating.

Specs
OS Windows 7 64 bit
AMD Phenom II x4 2.8Ghz
Mobo - Unknown - was a dell inspiron model
8GB RAM only 1033Mhz though
GPU Sapphire 6950 2GB
PSU Corsair 650W
1TB HDD
DVD/Rewrite optical drive

Now I am planning on buying the bundle below

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-169-OE&groupid=43&catid=2512&subcat=2683

I know PC's quite well but have never built one. I've only ever moved my PC into a larger case and installed the Graphics Card, so am a little apprehensive doing this but want to do it and get it right instead of buying an entirely new PC.

I plan to keep the HDD, optical drive, PSU, (probably will uprage GPU to 280X or 290X).

I am looking for the best guide available to do this.

and most importantly when i reconnect the HDD to the new Motherboard will i have to install a new version of Windows 7 64bit which is £74. I've heard Microsoft see a new Mobo as a need for a new license?

Any help is appreciated

RV

TG_thoMz

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
If you have moved your components to a new case then you already know how to do most of it. The only thing left would be mounting the CPU, CPU heatsink and installing ram. None of these are hard and tutorials can be found all over youtube. Caution does need to be taken with these steps, so as well as watching tutorials, I would use your old equipment to practice with, it should be almost exactly the same and this will allow you to see 'how things work'.
If your existing version of Windows is OEM then you would need to get a new license as it would be tied to your old mobo.