Motherboard Compatibility Questions

oriolesrock100

Commendable
Sep 10, 2018
So I'd like to upgrade my PC from an i5-6400 to an i7-8700k or i7-9700k, but I'm just trying to check to make sure everything is compatible. It seems both the 8700k and 9700k require ddr4 ram and aren't compatible with ddr3 ram. If this is true, could someone with more experience than me confirm this? If this is the case, I would need to upgrade my ddr3 ram obviously, so I went to check if my motherboard is even compatible with ddr4 ram, but I'm not sure i fit is, and this is the main problem. I have a default motherboard from some PC build from HP, and the model number is IPM17-DD REV:1.04. There are some listings on ebay for it, but I just can't seem to find what ram it is compatible with. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
The 8 & 9 series CPUs need newer chipsets than the 6 and 7 series so you can't upgrade to them without a motherboard change. Also I'm pretty sure the PC you have should also be DDR4. You'd realistically be looking at a whole Motherboard/CPU/RAM replacement.

Another thing is HP systems often use non standard layouts and low wattage PSUs & sometimes proprietary parts so they are not good candidates for upgrading. Most name brand pre built PCs are not really intended for user upgrades and can be difficult to upgrade successfully.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
The 8 & 9 series CPUs need newer chipsets than the 6 and 7 series so you can't upgrade to them without a motherboard change. Also I'm pretty sure the PC you have should also be DDR4. You'd realistically be looking at a whole Motherboard/CPU/RAM replacement.

Another thing is HP systems often use non standard layouts and low wattage PSUs & sometimes proprietary parts so they are not good candidates for upgrading. Most name brand pre built PCs are not really intended for user upgrades and can be difficult to upgrade successfully.

Solution

oriolesrock100

Commendable
Sep 10, 2018

Thanks for the reply. Well that's unfortunate. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should just save the money for a whole new PC, since my graphics card is also only a GTX 1060 3GB. I added the graphics card myself and I already upgraded the PSU, so I think it'd be okay for that, but since I have to upgrade the motherboard and RAM along with the CPU anyways, I may be better off just starting over. Very disappointing but you can't change reality I guess. Better start saving up!