Question Motherboard compatibility with GPU.

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Hi.
Any help on this really appreciated.

Iv punched it into PCPartPicker, and it seemed fine.
But I wanted to make sure before I purchased the GPU, and PSU.

Question.
Is the MSI MAG B560M MORTAR WIFI Gaming Motherboard, M-ATX, compatible to run an RTX 4070ti.

• Case is "GameMax Silent Mid-Tower PC Gaming case "
• CPU cooler "BE QUIET BK021 Dark Rock 4"
• PSU.
Corsair RM750x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 750
or
Corsair RM750x SHIFT Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Not quite sure the difference between them yet.
But didn't want to go higher than 750.

included some of the other parts, in case the space was an issue for the GPU.

Thanks for any help, and feedback.

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
The board will work fine but as far as a 750W psu goes ... I'd wait a few weeks for the release of the RTX 4070 which should use less power meaning a 750W psu will work fine for that card. The 4070 Ti is a borderline 850W card.

Hey Why_Me

And thank you so much for the information.

I am really pleased the board will be compatible.
But I really wanted the power of the ti.

And was told that a 750 would be fine with it.

I am conscious of electricity costings, I know this sounds penny pinching, but I have the PC on pretty much all day.
Would an 850 PSU included in the above spec, with the 4070ti, use much more power = cost of electric bill?

Or does it only use what it needs?

If this is the case, would it be better, if the same ongoing electric costs, to go for an 850?

Thank you for this help.
Its really appreciated.

Reactions: Why_Me
Hey Why_Me

I am conscious of electricity costings, I know this sounds penny pinching, but I have the PC on pretty much all day.
Would an 850 PSU included in the above spec, with the 4070ti, use much more power = cost of electric bill?

If this is the case, would it be better, if the same ongoing electric costs, to go for an 850?

Thank you for this help.
Its really appreciated.
Recommended PSU: 750W

power-gaming.png

Reactions: Daynhg

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Recommended PSU: 750W

power-gaming.png

♦ Great feedback, and very helpful on 750w being fine with the 4070ti.
♦ The chart,
♦ And the card to go for.

I was both surprised, and pleased. As since posting this, and reading your reply (thank you so much) I read in a couple f posts, one on here, another on Google.

Google. = "Often PSU running close to their max use more electricity (due to their being more inefficiency). So having a bigger on can actually reduce power for the same load. "

And on here. = "Maximum efficiency for a power supply is generally found at around 50% of its rated load. So, the more overhead you have for your power supply, the cheaper it is to run. "

My existing is MSI 980ti, and has been fantastic, so this is great news as well.

I'm just hoping it's enough power for an i9-10900K with a BE QUIET BK021 Dark Rock 4 135 CPU cooler. No OC'ing on any of it. I never OC.

Thank you again. Why-Me. 💎

Reactions: Why_Me

DSzymborski

Titan
Hey Why_Me

Thank you for this help.
Its really appreciated.

PSUs only use what they need. If they didn't, everyone who didn't would basically have a space heater in their very hot office. And a very high electric bill (850W 24 hours a day is slightly over 600 kWh a month).

Reactions: Daynhg and Why_Me
Corsair RM750x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 750
or
Corsair RM750x SHIFT Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Not quite sure the difference between them yet.
The difference is mostly cable orientation - Shift has cables going out towards right side panel (unlike typical PSUs that have cables going out towards front of case), which means it can be a problem to use it in cases that have smaller width, but otherwise it helps with cable routing quite a lot.

Reactions: Daynhg

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
The difference is mostly cable orientation - Shift has cables going out towards right side panel (unlike typical PSUs that have cables going out towards front of case), which means it can be a problem to use it in cases that have smaller width, but otherwise it helps with cable routing quite a lot.

Thank you so much
DRagor

Seriously helpful, as I could not figure what the difference was.

I appreciate that information. (y)

Last edited:

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
@DRagor
Edit.
And no need for reply.

Mea culpa.
For reasons passing understanding. I was thinking you meant left side. 😋
But the information on the shift was really valuable, as it would be no use to me with my exiting case.

Thank you again. 💎

Reactions: DRagor