[SOLVED] Motherboard compatibility

Nov 10, 2020
So i will build a budget pc with ryzen 5 2600. I can't decide which motherboard i should buy:
1.B450m aorus elite
2.ASRock B450m steel legend
Which of these 2 is better for overclocking and which one supports 3200mhz ram without problems? Also, if both are bad, which mobo should i pick? (The budget is 100$)

Solution
Ok, did a little research and the B550 doesn´t support older than gen 3 CPUs. That´s because of the CPU microcode not implemented in the BIOS chip, which doesn´t have the amount of space to store all AM4 CPU microcodes out there and because of better compatibility without these old CPUs.

The 2nd gen APUs are not exactly zen2 but something like zen2+, and therefore more likely to work with an B550 chipset board.

X570 would work but that´s not in the budget

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
You can go with the B450 Aorus Pro...It's a decent board for 2nd Gen and you'll be able to run 3.200 with no issues.
In case you go with this board, have in mind that the early BIOS Versions can be extremely unstable.( Gigabyte boards in general )

should work nonetheless, a 2200G is working though
From what I've been able to determine it can work but not well and probably depends on motherboard mfr. And the people I've known to do it found it had poor performance and limited to no memory overclocking. I think it's only suitability is to be able to use what you have on hand to update BIOS for a Ryzen 5000 processor so it will work.

Reactions: helpstar
Ok, did a little research and the B550 doesn´t support older than gen 3 CPUs. That´s because of the CPU microcode not implemented in the BIOS chip, which doesn´t have the amount of space to store all AM4 CPU microcodes out there and because of better compatibility without these old CPUs.

The 2nd gen APUs are not exactly zen2 but something like zen2+, and therefore more likely to work with an B550 chipset board.

X570 would work but that´s not in the budget

Solution