Question Motherboard detects boot device, but PC won't boot from it automatically ?

Oct 21, 2023
hi there. bought a new SSD a while back and replaced the HDD with it and now my PC won't boot from it automatically.

Display says this when I turn PC on:
" Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.66 (05/26/17) PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF : Exiting PXE ROM. No Bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key
"

I have checked the hard drive is connected properly and no issues
its not a boot device order issue as when I go to bios the SSD is the first on the list to boot from.

let me know any info needed to help the situation

thanx in advance

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
The error message implies the BIOS is attempting to start up from a Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) via the Ethernet port.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment

PXE_diagram.png

Although the SSD might be top of the list of bootable drives, are you certain that network booting isn't a higher priority?

Oct 21, 2023
thanx for the reply

here is what the boot screen says

Boot Manager
Boot mode is set to: Legacy; Secure boot: OFF; fTPM is OFF

LEGACY BOOT:
hard drive
Network

UEFI B001:
HDD1-Windows Boot Manager

OTHER OPTIONS: Diagnostics
Enter Setup
>Device Configuration
BIOS Flash Update
Change boot mode setting

also the other issue is the pc is extremely slow, and sometimes file explorer keeps crashing

Oct 21, 2023
Set to uefi then when I turned it on it says checking media' over and over again and does nothing

Not sure where the disable boot from network option is

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
This entry in your BIOS implies that HDD1 (Hard Disk Drive 1) which might be your new SSD contains an EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) boot partition.

UEFI B001:
HDD1-Windows Boot Manager

This boot partition is usually hidden from the user (no drive letter) but can be viewed after you've booted into Windows using the Disk Management tool or other drive management programs.

On the Windows 10 computer I'm using right now, this EFI boot partition is a mere 100MB in size, but it forms a critical part of the boot up process.

If your BIOS is set to 'Legacy Mode' only, also known as CSM (Compatibility Support Mode), the computer will ignore this EFI boot partition and the computer will not boot into Windows.

https://superuser.com/questions/1284392/what-exactly-is-uefi-with-csm-boot-mode

If you check through your BIOS, you should find an option to enable UEFI booting in addition to, or instead of Legacy/CSM.

Some BIOS screens allow you to enable both UEFI and Legacy/CSM at the same time. In some cases you can set the order, e.g. Legacy/CSM boot first, UEFI second, or vice versa.

I use these options on older computers with a mix of Windows XP (released before UEFI was invented) and Windows 7/10. If I set the BIOS to UEFI only, I cannot boot into my Windows XP drive. If I set the BIOS to Legacy/CSM only, I won't be able to boot into my Windows 10 drive if it relies on an EFI boot partition. Catch 22. On modern systems, the normal setting is UEFI.

Chances are your old hard disk and new SSD both have a small (hidden) EFI partition, requiring the UEFI boot option to be set in the BIOS, but somehow your boot settings have got scrambled.

We need to stop the BIOS from attempting to boot from a PXE server. It's quite possible network booting is a 'fall-back' option in the BIOS, if it fails to find a bootable disk drive, bootable USB memory stick, bootable optical disk, etc. In other words, the BIOS may have tried to boot from your SSD, failed dismally, worked its way down the list of various options until it found PXE boot, tried that and finally admitted defeat.

The first thing to do is enable UEFI. Make it higher priority than Legacy/CSM. N.B. If you're running Windows 7 or 10, there's a vague chance your drive (HHD or SSD) was setup with UEFI disabled in the BIOS, in which case there won't be a small EFI partition on the disk (I'm pretty sure I have a few of these setups). In this case, Legacy/CSM would have to be enabled.

Second, if you have more than one disk installed, move the SSD up to the top of the list.

Third, you may need to enable Windows Boot Manager for the SSD (assuming this is one of the options allowed).

On one of my computers, I can see two different Windows Boot Manager options in the BIOS. One of them is the EFI partition on my M.2/NVMe drive, the other is the EFI partition on my backup SATA SSD, in case the M.2 drive stops working.

It can all get horribly confusing, so the best thing to do is disconnect all disk drives (HDD, SSD, optical, USB) apart from your main boot drive (new SSD) and play around in the BIOS.

If you've never successfully booted from the SSD, fit the old HDD in its place and see if you can get that to work again.

If you cloned the HDD to the SSD but forgot to disconnect the HDD before restarting from the newly cloned SSD, the boot partition may still be located on the HDD, with the remainder of the OS on the new SSD. When you disconnect the HDD, the computer will no longer be able to boot Windows from the SSD, because the boot partition has disappeared.

I hope this helps.

Oct 21, 2023
Thanx very much, big help. Yes bit confusing so I'll go through it step by step tomorrow n take screenshots. The only drive installed is the new SSD and there's no USB connected . The other day I did something with bootmanager and now it pops up while the PC boots. I'll get pics tomorrow anyway. Thanx again , appreciate it. It's annoying not booting properly

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Looking at the final picture, you need to move HDD1 Windows Boot Manager up to the top of the list, by highlighting the entry, press the Enter key, then press the Up arrow key until HDD1 Windows Boot Manager has moved up to the top of the list. Press function key F10 to save the changes and see if it boots up into Windows. At the moment it's set to Legacy Boot. If you're using Windows 11, you may have to enable fTPM and Secure Boot too.

Oct 21, 2023
Doesn't work changing it to uefi.. When I change to uefi then when I turn it on it gives me a black screen that says checking media. Then eventually it goes into some sort of diagnostic test.

Oct 21, 2023
Looking at the final picture, you need to move HDD1 Windows Boot Manager up to the top of the list, by highlighting the entry, press the Enter key, then press the Up arrow key until HDD1 Windows Boot Manager has moved up to the top of the list. Press function key F10 to save the changes and see if it boots up into Windows. At the moment it's set to Legacy Boot. If you're using Windows 11, you may have to enable fTPM and Secure Boot too.
Thanx for that but there's no way for me to move it up or down on that screen to move things up or down in order can only hit arrows down or up to hit enter to boot from one of the options

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
OK. If the BIOS doesn't allow you to actually move the entries up or down (some do), try highlighting HDD1 Windows Boot Manager, press the Enter key, then check to see if HDD1 Windows Boot Manager appears in the text at the top of the screen, to indicate you have successfully changed the boot from Legacy mode.