[SOLVED] Motherboard doesn't turn off with restart.

Jun 29, 2019
Hi everyone!
I've tried searching but couldn't find a solution to this problem. When I do a Restart from Windows10 the motherboard and cooling fans stay on but the PC doesn't restart. The display does turn off and shows a no signal message. I then have to press and hold the power button to turn it of and then press it again to turn it back on or else it just stays in that state. The strange thing is this doesn't happen when I do a Shutdown. With shutdown it turns of by itself.
This started happening after I changed from a PentiumG3220 cpu to an i5. With the pentium it restarted normally. I sold the other cpu so can't test it anymore.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Last edited:
Solution
OK! I have had the exact same problem for several years now and if someone can solve this; that'd be great!

I am relatively certain this is not a software or OS problem (as I have overhauled my rig many times and have correctly installed several instances of windows during my time)
The only constant variable in my rig...is the tower case and the mobo. Being very well acquainted with this phenomenon, I have attempted to fix and investigate this issue countless times but with no solution.

Naturally, whenever I need to power off my computer or reboot it, I just decide to always use 'shutdown' and I manually boot up by clicking the power button.
Only during unpredictable 'restart' attempts from the OS does this happen...
Jun 29, 2019
Yes on restart everything stays powered on, pc and monitor because it is just restarting windows.
No, thats the thing, because it doesn't completely go off, it also doesn't go back on again. It just stays in that state where the fans are spinning and there's no signal going to the monitor but it doesn't restart. It seems like the motherboard doesn't turn off. I then have to press and hold the power button to turn it off and then press it again to turn it back on. If I don't then it just stays in that state. I even left it over night and the next morning the fans were still spinning. It just doesn't restart.

Yes on restart everything stays powered on, pc and monitor because it is just restarting windows.
Questionable. Restart is vague, and can mean the same as reboot, or a reload of the current operating system (without the boot loader), or even just restarting the user mode part of the operating system, leaving the kernel mode memory intact. It may also mean allowing the BIOS to reselect the boot drive and boot loader, which may require resetting the motherboard by way of an ACPI command. FYI

Jun 29, 2019
Go in to settings, update and security, restore, click on restart, see if it brings you to a blue window, click on continue to win10 and see if it restarts.
No, it does the same thing.
I followed you instructions and after clicking on, continue to win10, the monitor turned black, showed the no signal message and turned off but the cooling fans kept spinning. I left it like that for a while but nothing changed so I pressed and held the power button to turn it off and then pressed it again to turn it back on.
It then continued to the login screen and started windows. Was that supposed to happen after the restart?

Also, while the pc hangs before restarting, i did notice the graphics card light was also on, and could feel vibration on the HDDs.

No, it does the same thing.
I followed you instructions and after clicking on, continue to win10, the monitor turned black, showed the no signal message and turned off but the cooling fans kept spinning. I left it like that for a while but nothing changed so I pressed and held the power button to turn it off and then pressed it again to turn it back on.
It then continued to the login screen and started windows. Was that supposed to happen after the restart?

Also, while the pc hangs before restarting, i did notice the graphics card light was also on, and could feel vibration on the HDDs.
NO it should have restarted normally. So there is a problem somewhere in your windows files.... I'm thinking....

Jul 8, 2021
OK! I have had the exact same problem for several years now and if someone can solve this; that'd be great!

I am relatively certain this is not a software or OS problem (as I have overhauled my rig many times and have correctly installed several instances of windows during my time)
The only constant variable in my rig...is the tower case and the mobo. Being very well acquainted with this phenomenon, I have attempted to fix and investigate this issue countless times but with no solution.

Naturally, whenever I need to power off my computer or reboot it, I just decide to always use 'shutdown' and I manually boot up by clicking the power button.
Only during unpredictable 'restart' attempts from the OS does this happen. When this does happen I simply wait until my screen powers off and I carefully listen to my computer for clicks and sounds for a reason to believe it is still trying to complete a task (keeping an eye on the HDD light flickering is also part of my technique) Once I feel confident enough, I hold my power button down till it turns off and boot it back up again. Never before have I had the computer give any sign/hint that it was incorrectly shutdown. I have moved on from this funny quirk and just go about it casually now, but I'm still curious and hope for one day to solve it!

I can only assume it has to be some sort of BIOS or mobo setting that I am blind to.

Only during unpredictable 'restart' attempts from the OS does this happen. When this does happen I simply wait until my screen powers off and I carefully listen to my computer for clicks and sounds for a reason to believe it is still trying to complete a task (keeping an eye on the HDD light flickering is also part of my technique) Once I feel confident enough, I hold my power button down till it turns off and boot it back up again. Never before have I had the computer give any sign/hint that it was incorrectly shutdown. I have moved on from this funny quirk and just go about it casually now, but I'm still curious and hope for one day to solve it!

I can only assume it has to be some sort of BIOS or mobo setting that I am blind to.
LOOk to see if you have power save on in your windows settings, also turn off fast start in windows and bios settings if on.

Solution
Jan 20, 2023
Hello guys. Probably I'll get golden shovel after this post but I have same problem and it's NOT caused by OS. How do I know that? My PC has two OSs, because it's hackintosh and both of them are unable to reboot PC. Reset button on PC's case makes exactly the same. My motherboard has some LEDs to communicate errors and after attempt to reboot PC, it returns CPU error but meanwhile I replaced CPU so it's not the cause. I've tried everything, replaced CMOS battery, tried different configurations of RAM sticks, several SSDs/HDDs, even tried to reboot it with screwdriver instead of reset button, so the problem is with motherboard. How to fix it? I don't know. If you have any idea, feel free to share it because I tried everything I could imagine.