Motherboard dying, need help finding a replacement still in production

fang273

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
Hello, here's my current build. I'm going to explain why I think the motherboard is dying, but you can skip the next paragraph if you don't care.

I recently started having issues with starting it up. It'll start, run for a few seconds, then restart without giving a beep code. If I shut it down and unplug it a few times, it'll eventually boot successfully. I RMA'd the power supply and that didn't solve it, so I've tried all combinations of the RAM and have tried booting without my graphics card--no dice. The only components left are my SSD, HDD, CPU, and motherboard. I doubt it's the HDD/SSD and I don't have a replacement CPU or motherboard to check, so I'm planning on just replacing the motherboard and seeing if it fixes it.

The problem is, the well-rated replacements on pcpartpicker are all discontinued. There's a few left that have a couple good ratings, but I'm hoping someone here can help me pick a good replacement. Any suggestions?

While I'm at it, I'm planning on adding a larger SSD as a new boot drive as well, so any suggestions for that too would be appreciated.

Solution
Sorry. I missed the link.
This is the motherboard I am using and I have the same i5-4690K CPU.
It is 3 years old and I still love it.

ASUS Z97 Deluxe
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Z97-DELUXE-DDR3-2600-Motherboards/dp/B00K2MATCU/

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Sorry. I missed the link.
This is the motherboard I am using and I have the same i5-4690K CPU.
It is 3 years old and I still love it.

ASUS Z97 Deluxe
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Z97-DELUXE-DDR3-2600-Motherboards/dp/B00K2MATCU/

Solution
It could be a memory issue as Calvin7 suggests, try:

Start the system and enter the BIOS.
Reset to optimised defaults and power down.
Remove the power cord.
Remove all but one memory module.
Reconnect the power cord.
Reboot.
Rinse and repeat for all 4 modules.
you can run Memtest but this physical test will probably be quicker. ;)

It'll probably be better to look for a used motherboard, maybe even a complete CPU/MB/RAM combination as a replacement, you may even get lucky and find the same 'board for sale . Bear in mind you'll almost certainly want to reinstall Windows and all your apps afterwards if you swap the lot over.

It is possible to boot some M2 SSDs off those motherboards but it's a bit hit and miss, I'd just go for a 2.5" SATA drive and save yourself the hassle.
As a minimum 256Gb is fine but you may be able to go all SSD storage if your storage needs are limited.
Performance tends to be pretty similar between drives with the SATA interface
Samsung tend to make some of the best but they're not particularly cheap.
Warranties vary, 3 years should be the minimum you should accept and, really, the longer the better.
Unless you select a SSD that is larger than your current HDD primary partition ( the 'C' drive or partition ) you will HAVE to reinstall everything, it's not possible to just migrate Windows or Windows and a few choice applications from one drive to another.

Although there is another way...