[SOLVED] Motherboard error Cf 46, memory initialization error or something more?

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
So I bought new corsair vengeance memory and installed it as an upgrade to my current rig. It gave an error CF 46 which I understand is a memory not detected or memory initialization error, but after removing them and resetting cmos and installing my old memory which was working fine 15 minutes ago, it gave the same error CF 46. Is the motherboard dead? (I should also mention the error codes after replacing the ram, even if I move them up a slot, don't display, when this happens I have to drain the power by unplugging the system and pressing the power button, after this the memory error returns)
I have an asrock x370 gaming k4
Old memory Gskill flarex ryzen compatible memory 2400 mhz
Ryzen 1700x cpu
Antec 750 watt gold psu

A memory Initialization error is usually a mismatch, contamination in the slots or bad modules.

You may have a corrupt Bios or your new DIMMs are incompatible. Make sure to update Bios to the latest.
Check the new kit are listed on the MB QVL for tested kits. Ryzen seem to like Samsung B-Die ram.

Obtain the best timings and voltage for your DIMMs and enter those values manually in Bios.
Run memtest86 on all your ram to check for errors.

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
A memory Initialization error is usually a mismatch, contamination in the slots or bad modules.

You may have a corrupt Bios or your new DIMMs are incompatible. Make sure to update Bios to the latest.
Check the new kit are listed on the MB QVL for tested kits. Ryzen seem to like Samsung B-Die ram.

Obtain the best timings and voltage for your DIMMs and enter those values manually in Bios.
Run memtest86 on all your ram to check for errors.
OK, but shouldn't putting in my old ram that worked fine before (for 3 years no less passing several stress tests) fix the issue? Because i still get the error, resetting cmos also doesn't help

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hi, man ive been building computers for so long, and sometimes its the stupidest things that cause a malfunction.
I banged my head against the wall laughing maniacally after finding out what happened.
I DIDNT PRESS DOWN THE RAM HARD ENOUGH.
Earlier i thought, The Rams gone in! It clicked! if I push any harder ill snap the motherboard in 2.
NO, there were supposed to be 2 audible clicks, not one, two.
I am so sorry for wasting all yours time.
This is so damn Stupid
FYI the Corsair ones I bought, they work, I just wasnt pushing them down hard enough