[SOLVED] Motherboard Ethernet port suddenly stopped working? "Cable unplugged"?

Andy0432

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
Relatively new build running for about 2 months,

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570I
RAM: G.Skill 8gb x 2 3200mhz C14
GPU: Zotac 1660ti Twin Fan
Storage: 1Tb Samsung 970 m.2 SSD
The onboard NIC is an Intel i211

This morning I was just using my computer as usual, and the Ethernet port on my motherboard suddenly stops working.
Under control panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections it says network cable unplugged but the cable is plugged in?

I have tried the same cable and the same port on the router on another desktop as well as a laptop and both work fine.
I have also tried the same cable with an USB adaptor to the same PC which worked as expected.

I have tried various things:

1. Restarting - No effect
  2. Trying a different cable - No effect
  3. Disabling and enabling in device manager - No effect
  4. Reinstalling drivers - No effect
  5. Resetting CMOS by taking out the battery - No effect
  6. Disabling and re-enabling the LAN controller in the BIOS - No effect

Things I have tried that have some effect:
  1. Changing the duplex setting to anything other than gigabit - The cable is suddenly detected and the internet somewhat works but everything is slow, web pages take close to a minute to load.
  2. Plugging the cable in and out causes both the green light and orange light to turn on momentarily and the network status goes to "identifying..." for about a second before going back to cable unplugged again. In the system logs it constantly switches between "Network link is disconnected" and "Network link has been established at 1Gbps full duplex" while the cable is plugged in.

Is the NIC just broken? What else should I try?

Thanks in advance.

kanewolf

Titan
Relatively new build running for about 2 months,

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570I
RAM: G.Skill 8gb x 2 3200mhz C14
GPU: Zotac 1660ti Twin Fan
Storage: 1Tb Samsung 970 m.2 SSD
The onboard NIC is an Intel i211

This morning I was just using my computer as usual, and the Ethernet port on my motherboard suddenly stops working.
Under control panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections it says network cable unplugged but the cable is plugged in?

I have tried the same cable and the same port on the router on another desktop as well as a laptop and both work fine.
I have also tried the same cable with an USB adaptor to the same PC which worked as expected.

I have tried various things:

1. Restarting - No effect
  2. Trying a different cable - No effect
  3. Disabling and enabling in device manager - No effect
  4. Reinstalling drivers - No effect
  5. Resetting CMOS by taking out the battery - No effect
  6. Disabling and re-enabling the LAN controller in the BIOS - No effect
Things I have tried that have some effect:
  1. Changing the duplex setting to anything other than gigabit - The cable is suddenly detected and the internet somewhat works but everything is slow, web pages take close to a minute to load.
  2. Plugging the cable in and out causes both the green light and orange light to turn on momentarily and the network status goes to "identifying..." for about a second before going back to cable unplugged again. In the system logs it constantly switches between "Network link is disconnected" and "Network link has been established at 1Gbps full duplex" while the cable is plugged in.
Is the NIC just broken? What else should I try?

Thanks in advance.
Does your cable go directly to your modem or is there in-wall cabling ?

Andy0432

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
Haha thanks for the tip, if I try plugging the pc directly to the router it works perfectly and also using another in-wall port. Weird as to why this is only just occurring. after 2 months. Would could be causing the noise? Would I need to get that particular port rewired?

kanewolf

Titan
Haha thanks for the tip, if I try plugging the pc directly to the router it works perfectly and also using another in-wall port. Weird as to why this is only just occurring. after 2 months. Would could be causing the noise? Would I need to get that particular port rewired?
That is the place to start. Only 1 of the 8 wires not making good connection is enough to prevent gigabit connectivity.