[SOLVED] Motherboard fan header providing insufficient power?

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
I just recently installed a set of three RGB Thermaltake Riing fans. All fans connect to a fan hub, and that fan hub is connected to a fan header on my motherboard. Sometimes the three fans start up normally with LEDs working properly on each, sometimes the LEDs don’t come on but all of the fans spin up. Sometimes, one of the fans seems to sputter but eventually starts to spin normally, sometimes one of the fans doesn’t start spinning at all. It’s random upon each boot. My first thought was that the fan header wasn’t providing enough power, but I’m not 100% sure. If that is the case, what would be a possible solution? Could it be a different issue entirely? Any information or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017

My motherboard is an ASUS Z170-E, and these are the exact fans:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thermaltake-riing-120mm-case-cooling-fan-kit-with-rgb-lighting/5588906.p?skuId=5588906

They were a good deal, so I picked them up and am using all three 120mm fans for exhaust, although they are static pressure fans. I have them on the "low" setting, which I believe maxes out at around 600 RPM.

As stated on page 1-26 of your motherboard's manual, CPU_FAN connector supports a max 1A (12W) fan power. The CHA_FAN connectors should be the same. Therefore, the maximum power draw should be < 0.8A.

From your fan's specifications, it has a rated current of 0.21A. Therefore three fans will draw 0.63A from your motherboard. Your motherboard supplies more than enough power on that fan header so that is not the issue.

Have you tried connecting to a different fan header?

Fan's specifications: https://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=C_00002731

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017

I have not tried a different header. However, in the BIOS, the fan header is set to DC rather than PWM. Would this make a difference?

You should switch to PWM because it will allow you to control the fan speeds. These fans have 4-pin PWM connectors. Try a different header to see if it makes a difference.

TRENDING THREADS