Motherboard for 2700x & RAM Upgrade?

Nervly

Honorable
Sep 7, 2016
After debating a lot on whether to get a 2700x or a i7 8700/9700/9900k, I think I'm finally going to consider the 2700x, especially because of prices:

465€    2700x w/ Cooler + Motherboard
705€    9700k + Cooler + Motherboard
665€    8700k + Cooler + Motherboard
865€    9900k + Cooler + Motherboard

The difference is just too big and according to some benchmarks I've seen, the difference in FPS (both average and 1% low) just doesn't justify paying over 250€ extra. What I'm wondering is if it is worth upgrading from my i5-6500 right now to a 2700x and then later on upgrade to the new AMD 7nm CPUs or if I should just wait for them instead and make the switch then. Since I also want to upgrade to those once they come out, it'd likely be wise to get a motherboard that'd be ready for those and that can still take a 2700x. With that in mind, do you have any MOBO recommendations? What should I look for in a motherboard for this end? I'm not too sure if I should overclock the 2700x or not, I've never OCd before and I wasn't really thinking on buying a separate cooler for the CPU and just use the stock one (which I heard was pretty good) but I wouldn't mind on giving that boost to the CPU if I could keep its stock cooler. I'm mainly going to be playing VR games and I do some video editing now and then as well as screensharing. I use Blender and Unity from time to time for VRChat creations and also do some Photoshop and digital drawing. The heaviest games I play mostly are VRChat (which seems to be CPU heavy), SairentoVR, SkyrimVR and Seeking Dawn. I currently also have 2x8GB HyperX Fury 2400MHz 14CAS but I heard the Ryzen really likes specific types of RAM like 3200MHz 14CAS (which seems to be related to Samsung B-Dies, which I'm still not too sure what it means) or 3000MHz 16CAS. Would it be worth upgrading my RAM to something like those? Is there a noticeable difference that'd justify paying extra for new RAM or would I be fine with my current sticks? Finally, just in case it matters, I'm running a GTX 1060 3GB, though I'd also like to upgrade that eventually.

Thank you in advance!

For JUST gaming, with nothing else going on, the i5-6500 is probably just as good as the 2700x in single core performance. Possibly better. However, if you do ANY multitasking with recording, streaming, encoding or other heavy multitasking WHILE gaming, then the 2700x is definitely going to offer you some benefits.

For the applications you are looking to run, I think you'll see some benefits as well, especially if you some version of multiples of them at the same time.

You do not want 2400mhz memory. You want 3000 or 3200mhz CL14 modules. CL16 modules will likely work, but the overall latency of the CL14 modules and the fact that they are almost certainly B-die modules if they are CL14 at 3000 or 3200mhz makes them worth the premium over the CL16 modules. B-die modules means that they use Samsung B-die ICs (Memory chips) on the module which are the highest quality memory chips you can get to build a memory module with and it definitely makes a difference in performance and latency because they tend to have MUCH tighter timings straight from the factory AND the quality is better. It's like getting a golden sample binned CPU, to some extent.

I like G.Skill or Corsair Dominator platinums.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1627555-ryzen-memory-ic-collection-thread.html

I think it should probably go without saying that you do not want a motherboard older than B450 or X470, as they have better memory support and some refinements not found on older chipsets plus generally better VRMs if you choose a decent board. Lower end boards are always, well, lower end boards.