[SOLVED] Motherboard for an intel 9900 non-k

sixt33n

Prominent
Mar 5, 2019
Hi!

I was hoping to get some suggestions for a motherboard for a non-k intel 9900 that would enable it to its full potential since I intend to use it for at least 5 years. It will be used for gaming and some light cad. I already have the cpu so I cant really switch to AMD.

I understand that the z series motherboards are top tier and mostly for overclocking but also normally have more features than B and H series motherboards. I was considering z370 since its easier to find, until I found out that Some need an 8th gen cpu to update the bios. Some apparently don’t, but its a hit or miss. Also upon researching, I saw a comparison of the performance of a 9th gen chip on z370 and z390 motherboards where the z370 chip needed power limits to increased to get close to a z390 but still slightly lower. I dont mind slightly lower but if I remember it right, there’s also a risk with the z370 vrms overheating when the power limits are taken off.

My priority list is as follows:

Performance
itx > mATX
2x M.2
Usb 3.2 gen 2
Wifi

Can these actually be met by B and H series motherboards without affecting the 9900’s performance? Whats the downsides if I go for a B series chipset?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
If I were you, I'd pick up a Z390 chipset board and then slap on some DDR4-3600MHz rams. The chipset will allow you to go to those clocks.

B series removes the option for RAID, though you can go JBOD for storage. They also are the no frills section of the chipsets, so they won't allow you to overclock the ram(much) and be left with the IMC's stock clocks, of DDR4-2666MHz. The B series will also have reduced quality components on it just to meet a price point.

Lutfij

Titan
If I were you, I'd pick up a Z390 chipset board and then slap on some DDR4-3600MHz rams. The chipset will allow you to go to those clocks.

B series removes the option for RAID, though you can go JBOD for storage. They also are the no frills section of the chipsets, so they won't allow you to overclock the ram(much) and be left with the IMC's stock clocks, of DDR4-2666MHz. The B series will also have reduced quality components on it just to meet a price point.

Reactions: sixt33n
Solution

sixt33n

Prominent
Mar 5, 2019
Thank you for the advice Lutfij!

I was actually considering B series motherboards since My budget would be $200 at the most. It seems like the z390 prices are overinflated at $250-$300 currently, considering z490 motherboards are priced below $200. I haven’t built a pc since 2013 so its definitely been a while. I’ll take your advice and wait for a decently priced z390.

sixt33n

Prominent
Mar 5, 2019
I’d be concerned about which B or H board you choose. I’m not up to date on these boards but that cpu requires decent VRM’s and these are often an area that is cut back on these boards.

Understood. I even just found out few minutes ago that even the VRM’s of an ASRock Motherboard (Z390M-ITX/AC) can’t keep up with a 9900k at an all core boost of 4.7ghz, Granted its a 9900k.

View: https://youtu.be/XCV7jxdMXAE
@ 3:19

I was actually almost about to buy that motherboard since its the only one I can find lower than $200 but glad I did some research first. From that same video I considered the Asrock Phantom gaming z390 because of the thunderbolt but the prices I can find are absurd at around $400-$500.