Motherboard for P4.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Woger wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:36:02 +0100, Steve Pearce
> <*stevepearce@btinternet.com*> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:45:04 GMT, MS
>><matthews@mailsnare.---nojunktakeout---.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Having had such great replies about which processor to buy, now is my
>>>chance to ask about which motherboard.
>>>
>>>I've decided to get a Pentium 4 3.0E Ghz 800Mhz Prescott CPU, but my
>>>supplier (who will be doing the actual system build) has loads of P4
>>>motherboards. I've narrowed it down to these 9.
>>>

>>I've used a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000g with that processor with good
>>results, the "pro" version should be just as good.
>

> Gigabyte MoBo's do not let you overclock at all, or support faster Memory

Needless to say but that statement is simply untrue.

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote in message

> Of course it is. Sorry guys, Woger is the village idiot from my local
> computer newsgroup, nz.comp, where he has posted under over 100 different
> alias' in the last few years as people killfile him. I don't know how he
got
> out, I thought we had him locked in the basement.

That's what you get for running an unsecured 802.11b node, Misfit.

RwP

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

> > Yea, he likes to make *ass*umptions about others. VIA has a bad
> > history and only a dumbass would choose a VIA chipset over the 865 and
> > 875 chipsets for a P4 build.
>
> What do you know that the experts don't? All the experts agree that the
> taiwanese chipmakers are holding their own against Intel as far as
stability
> AND performance goes. I'm waiting . . . enlighten us . . . -Dave

Still waiting, but not holding my breath . . .

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 20:01:56 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>Still waiting, but not holding my breath . . .

I already told you, the internet is rife with VIA horror stories. Now
be a smart boy and go do your own homework.

maggot wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 20:01:56 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:
>
> >Still waiting, but not holding my breath . . .
> >

> I already told you, the internet is rife with VIA horror stories. Now
> be a smart boy and go do your own homework.

I find that I sometimes get a lot of stick for choosing the 'safe' choices such
as e.g. Intel cpu and chip set. However, this is not a comment on AMD and others
which may work equally well, it is just that a choice has to be made, and since
I was spending my own scarce money, I didn't want any hassle and just want it
to work. It may seem unfair, but life is harder for newcomers.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

http://asksurvey.amd.com/servicesoft/servlet/EmailSurvey?emailID=345382&email=dstrausser33@comcast.net).

> P.S. Please visit our online technical support tools, Ask AMD
> (http://ask.amd.com) and our Processor Support Forums
> (http://forums.amd.com). Ask AMD is our online knowledgebase that
> contains many solutions to common questions. Our Processor Support
> Forums are an online community where users can assist each other with
> many different issues. There's a good chance these tools can help
> answer your next question!
>

> Original Message Follows:
> ------------------------
>

> Form Message
>
> Processor Type: Athlon XP
> Escalated From: startup
> Processor Model: 2200+
> Knowledge Base: Processor
> Email Address: dstrausser33@comcast.net
> Full Name: Dennis E Strausser Jr
> Message Body: (FSB) & Bus Speed. If a CPU has a FSB of 133, that would
> mean the Bus Speed is 266? So like My 2200+ I have is 266 Bus Speed, and
> 133 (FSB)? And a 2800+ would be 166 FSB (166.5)? What I need is a link
> if I'm right, if I'm wrong, I still want that link. I was trying to tell
> some1 that I thought that's the way it works, and he said I'm wrong. So
> I'm sure you guys can tell me, after all, they are your CPU's 2200+?
> 2600 @ 2.17 GHz,,, But you didn't need to know I'm Overclocking one of
> your CPU's. Denny. :)
> Subject: FSB & Bus Speed
> User Type: Reseller/System Builder
> Knowledge Job Ticket: 0000000000169818213:5486
> Knowledge Session Log URL:
> http://139.95.253.213:80/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?SessLog,e=0000000000
> 169818213,K=5486
> Location: USA/Canada
>
> What this all means?
> I'll break it down.
> the rising and falling edges of the clock
> signal are still working for the most part, the same way as an amd.
> But.
> 200 x 200 rising and falling edges of the clock signal.
> 200 x 200 rising and falling edges of the clock signal.
> Don't take my word for it, this is just a guess.
> But it does seem like a good guess to say that's how it's Hyperthreading
> works.
> Back when it was just Hyperpipline, I think it helped to keep the cpu
> running smooth.
> And keep the bottle neck as low as possible.
>
> If anyone has more input on this, or if I'm wrong, correct me.
> thx..
> Denny. :)

Hmmm, good questions.

I have some that can be added. To get the 800MHZ data rate do you need 4
memory DIMMs (sticks) or can it work with only two standard ones?

Dave

Dave wrote:

> [...]
> > signal are still working for the most part, the same way as an amd.
> > But.
> > 200 x 200 rising and falling edges of the clock signal.
> > 200 x 200 rising and falling edges of the clock signal.
> > Don't take my word for it, this is just a guess.
> > But it does seem like a good guess to say that's how it's Hyperthreading
> > works.
> > Back when it was just Hyperpipline, I think it helped to keep the cpu
> > running smooth.
> > And keep the bottle neck as low as possible.
> >
> > If anyone has more input on this, or if I'm wrong, correct me.
> > thx..
> > Denny. :)
> >
> Hmmm, good questions.
>
> I have some that can be added. To get the 800MHZ data rate do you need 4
> memory DIMMs (sticks) or can it work with only two standard ones?

Two standard ones, that is two DDR400. The DDR means Double Data Rate,
dual channel is on top of that, hence 800MHz transfer rate = 6400000000 bits/s.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

"Johannes H Andersen" <johs@nsaeccueuesizefitterwruovweswernuao.com> wrote
in message news:410E37F8.3FE1B60A@nsaeccueuesizefitterwruovweswernuao.com...

> [...]
> > > Don't take my word for it, this is just a guess.
> > > But it does seem like a good guess to say that's how it's
Hyperthreading
> > > works.
> > > Back when it was just Hyperpipline, I think it helped to keep the cpu
> > > running smooth.
> > > And keep the bottle neck as low as possible.
> > >
> > > If anyone has more input on this, or if I'm wrong, correct me.
> > > thx..
> > > Denny. :)
> > >
> > Hmmm, good questions.
> >
> > I have some that can be added. To get the 800MHZ data rate do you need
4
> > memory DIMMs (sticks) or can it work with only two standard ones?
> >
> > Dave
>
> Two standard ones, that is two DDR400. The DDR means Double Data Rate,
> dual channel is on top of that, hence 800MHz transfer rate = 6400000000
Righ, ty.
If you use two, also make sure they are installed right.
What I mean is, don't just use dimm slots 1 & 2 Most boards will just give
you the ram you just installed.
Like 2 x 512 for 1Meg
Use dimm slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4, if your board has 4
This gives dual channel mode.
Denny. :)

> "Johannes H Andersen" <johs@nsaeccueuesizefitterwruovweswernuao.com> wrote
> in message
> >

> > Dave wrote:
> > >
> > > "Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message
> wrote

> benchmarks

> MHz,

> Athlon

> BIOS
> the

> Click

http://asksurvey.amd.com/servicesoft/servlet/EmailSurvey?emailID=345382&email=dstrausser33@comcast.net).

> and
> tell
> So
> > > >
> http://139.95.253.213:80/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?SessLog,e=0000000000

> Hyperthreading

> > > Hmmm, good questions.
> > >
> > > I have some that can be added. To get the 800MHZ data rate do you
need
> 4
> > > memory DIMMs (sticks) or can it work with only two standard ones?
> > >
> > > Dave
> >
> > Two standard ones, that is two DDR400. The DDR means Double Data Rate,
> > dual channel is on top of that, hence 800MHz transfer rate = 6400000000
> bits/s.
> Righ, ty.
> If you use two, also make sure they are installed right.
> What I mean is, don't just use dimm slots 1 & 2 Most boards will just
give
> you the ram you just installed.
> Like 2 x 512 for 1Meg (1Gig) Oops....
> Use dimm slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4, if your board has 4
> This gives dual channel mode.
> Denny. :)

Denny. :)

Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:

> "Johannes H Andersen" <johs@nsaeccueuesizefitterwruovweswernuao.com> wrote
[...]
> > Two standard ones, that is two DDR400. The DDR means Double Data Rate,
> > dual channel is on top of that, hence 800MHz transfer rate = 6400000000
> bits/s.
> Righ, ty.
> If you use two, also make sure they are installed right.
> What I mean is, don't just use dimm slots 1 & 2 Most boards will just give
> you the ram you just installed.
> Like 2 x 512 for 1Meg
> Use dimm slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4, if your board has 4
> This gives dual channel mode.
> Denny. :)

Yep.

My Gigabyte board has 6 DIMM slots, hence 1 & 4 have matching colours.

But there is something else to observe. On this board only 1 & 4 can be
double sided DIMM, the rest 2,3,5,6 must be single sided.

The mobo manual states that max memory is 4GB. Presumably that means
2x1024 double sided + 2x512 single sided + 2x512 single sided ?

However, I have never seen DDR DIMM listed specifically as single or
double sided anywhere.