[SOLVED] Motherboard for Ryzen 7800x3d and a CL 30 ram 6000mhz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
I am upgrading my PC after a long wait and going for the Ryzen 7800x3d about 524 US dollars in my country, I did some research but that made me very confused about the motherboards.
ASUS motherboards are bad for 7000 series
Earlier I was interested in a Gigabyte B650M Aorus Pro AX (Wi-Fi) Motherboard - It is costing me around 280 US dollars in my country.
Gigabyte boards have the best and precise timings for the 7000 series, but I am skeptical to go for it because gigabyte has coil whine issue.
Should I go for it or try some other boards, but the only problem is they are not as good as gigabyte, hardware unboxed did some testing and even found out lower FPS in the other boards -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTFUa60ozKY

As for the ram it is very hard to find a 6000 mhz CL 30-38-38-96 but I have found one CL 30-40-40-96, how much slower the latter is? Should I go for it?

Solution
Asus is fine now 100% they had issues but with bios updates across all board manufactures has all but fixed the issue ..
i went overkill and expensive (Rog crosshair x670e gene ) for my 7800x3d as the 7950x3d was my intended goal cpu but settled on the 7800x3d in the end i also bought this board before much was known about the x3d cpu's so i feared the worse ( temps vrm etc etc )..

Also i was thinking about future i plan on sticking with this board till AM6 !!

My advice is look at what you need m.2 slots , form factor and budget

My gskil ddr5 6000 cl 30 2x16 is what alot of the reviewers were using as per AMD's recommendations not sure there is going to be much difference's with them middle timings..
thats an age old question - in short, the ATX spec is limited or rated to 150W per 8 pin GPU connection. But cable if its of good quality and the PSU itself can provide more W based on its output.

You will find that the TT GF3 can give 990W (or how much ever its rated - given in the product page) across 12v.

For a more indepth explantion:

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
@Lucky_SLS
Bought the Samsung oddysey neo g7 32 inch from their proprietary website - https://www.samsung.com/in/monitors/gaming/odyssey-neo-g7-g75nb-32-inch-ls32bg750nwxxl/ -
they had some good corporate mail ID deal along with the credit card deal. I just couldn't help myself to spend some more, you made me change my mind to look for a 32 inch so I did :)

Also placed the order for thermaltake gf3 1000w
Now just waiting for the above 2 items along with the GPU 7900XTX.
APpvmuc.png

Reactions: Lucky_SLS
Be sure to showcase your amazing new system here, we would like that!

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
@Lucky_SLS
received the monitor and GPU, PSU is yet to arrive.

What are your SDR and HDR settings for your neo G7, which picture mode and color do you prefer?
Are you using the "adaptive picture" under eye care which automatically sets your brightness and does that automatically affect min. backlight as well for SDR/HDR content?
What overall settings do you prefer with a min. hassle of constantly interacting with the settings?
What "local dimming" settings are you using high or auto for SDR/HDR content? or do you keep on switching depending upon the content.

Thats a bit subjective.

Your monitor has close to 1100 dimming zones compared to 360 for my model. So your monitor would definitely perform better in HDR.

I have auto HDR enabled in windows for gaming but I have night light always on for the yellow tint and eye care. Once you get into exclusive fyllscreen mode, the night light is disabled and HDR kicks in.

I don't care that much regarding the electricity bill. So my monitor is always at high in local dimming and fastest for response time. So basically max Local dimming and fastest pixel response and don't change the settings.

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
Thats a bit subjective.

Your monitor has close to 1100 dimming zones compared to 360 for my model. So your monitor would definitely perform better in HDR.

I have auto HDR enabled in windows for gaming but I have night light always on for the yellow tint and eye care. Once you get into exclusive fyllscreen mode, the night light is disabled and HDR kicks in.

I don't care that much regarding the electricity bill. So my monitor is always at high in local dimming and fastest for response time. So basically max Local dimming and fastest pixel response and don't change the settings.
I am on windows 10 and I can't find this auto hdr option.
Secondly, are you using DP or HDMI 2.1, I am thinking of purchasing a HDMI 2.1 cable since it supports 12bit and DP supports 10 bit, would switching to HDMI 2.1 for 12bit make any difference for my 12bit panel?

My new build is planned by Christmas. I am currently using my G7 with my laptop which has a HDMI port.

I would also suggest a HDMI port. And yes, I guess auto HDR is a win11 feature. It's for games that does not have HDR support baked in. For games that do support HDR, you just have to enable it in display settings.

Just make sure to get a proper HDMI 2.1 cable. There are many cables with false advertising.

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
My new build is planned by Christmas. I am currently using my G7 with my laptop which has a HDMI port.

I would also suggest a HDMI port. And yes, I guess auto HDR is a win11 feature. It's for games that does not have HDR support baked in. For games that do support HDR, you just have to enable it in display settings.

Just make sure to get a proper HDMI 2.1 cable. There are many cables with false advertising.
Is this good? please suggest -

Heres is a list if the above cable won't do - https://www.amazon.in/s?k=hdmi+cabl...929&tag=googinhydr1-21&ref=pd_sl_7m16urr09f_e

I don't think HDMI 2.1 supports 4k @165hz, does it only support 4k @120hz?

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
@Lucky_SLS
Finally received the PSU, spent entire day assembling and cable management :)

The only problem is HDR brightness is very low when AMD freesync premium pro is turned ON, otherwise HDR looks great, I am using HDMI 2.1 at 12 bit and have tested it across 10 bit and 12 bit.
Have tested across 3 cables - 1 DP 1.4 and 2 HDMI 2.1 cables

Previously on my 2070 till now adaptive sync was working fine along with full HDR capabilities but now after installing 7900XTX and freesync premium pro is turned ON the HDR brightness is very low and I have to turn it off.

Reactions: Lucky_SLS

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
Thats great news!

did a cursory search in google and came up with this:

This might be an AMD driver thing, have you updated the driver to the latest version? chances are, they might have already fixed it in the latest version...
I am on windows 11 latest drivers - Adrenalin 23.9.3 (WHQL Recommended)

Have used DDDU twice and reinstalled the drivers, still facing the same issue.
It's not just the games, if free sync premium pro is turned on I can't even watch HDR content since the brightness becomes too low, it affects my desktop HDR brightness as well but not the SDR brightness.
SDR brightness is all good with freesync premium turned ON.

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
Cant help you that much here as i have an nvidia card and dont have this problem...
Hey, CRU worked for deleted the freesync range and aadded it again but it was very unstable and my monitor display was turning ON/OFF plus it was going completely haywire and was showing just one color on the screen and then reset back on its own, so had to reset CRU.

Also there is one more problem with the freesync, videos are stuttering a lot on apps like netflix and amazon prime video if the freesync is ON. I don't want turn it ON/OFF manually everytime it should work fine with freesync ON.
Not sure why this is causing a lot of problems wherein freesync premium pro should have full HDR support and no stuttering in videos.
Again I have tried reinstalling display drivers by DDU, checking everything with 3 different cable (2 HDMI 2.1 and 1 DP) still the stutter is there, frames are skipping very badly while watching videos.

Just to check, is V sync or vertical refresh off? It would be in adrenaline>gaming>graphics

Having freesync and v sync on at the same time is known to cause stutters.

If that is not the case, better to start a new question/thread. I am not a Radeon/freesync premium pro user. But others here might help...