Question Motherboard going out?

Aug 18, 2023
Good morning.

I came home recently and found that my PC was stuck on. BSoD boot loop. It's a few different errors but it's Kmode exception not handled 90% of the time.

I was able to enter safe mode one time and checked the drivers, everything showed up to date. I've removed everything I can think of. Reseated RAM and tried new RAM, removed GPU, updated BIOS, did a CMOS reset, plugged directly into the wall instead of a power strip, unplugged SSD and left HDD, unplugged HDD and left SSD.

Still stuck on a loop. Then I did some research on the motherboard. It's pretty basic. Just a ASRock B450M Pro4. But after reading about this motherboard, one of the main issues people had either immediately or over time is faulty DIMM slots.

I've had this issue before and I was able to fix it by reseating RAM to slots 2/4 instead of 1/2/3/4. 1/3 would cause that KMode error for some reason no matter which combination of RAM sticks I used and 2/4 would boot normally under the same conditions

Does this sound like it could be a faulty motherboard?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023
Check the owners manual and see which slots the manufacturer recommends you put ram in.

Lot of modern boards recommend 2/4, which could be why it's unstable with memory on 1/3
OH sorry I didn't really communicate accurately. I had 32 GB setup for 1/2/3/4. but after getting that Kmode error, the only thing that would fix it was only doing 2/4 no matter which combination of RAM sticks I used.