Motherboard/GPU compatibility PSU question

icymanpape

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
So I'm planning on building a new computer and its my first one here are the parts i have so far

Intel CPU G3258 LGA1150 dual core 3.2 GHZ 3mb cache
(I dont know what the name really is to some of these so ill type what i see)

MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Motherboard

Geoforce GTX 960

So what im wondering now is what PSU should i get to make sure this properly runs without any problems i was hoping to save money by getting a case that already has a 500 watt psu but want to make sure thats enough for this system

PS i dont know if i should've added this but 8gb standard ram one standard 500 gb harddrive and one 100ish GB solid state drive

Solution
Yes it will be better if u buy a good quality PSU like antec seasonic corsair etc.

Also you wish to get a better CPU in the future which may require more power.
Good PSU s which are certified they tend to waste little power in resistance etc which will reduce ur electricity bill.
Although the saving is not much but it covERS up what you put extra now.

While buying a PSU always check if it has the power connectors u require for GPU etc ate present and
The basic difference between a good quality PSU an average quality is the amount if current it puts on the 12v rail.

To sum it up its wise and future proof to get a good quality PSU .
I was in a similar dilemma a few years ago when someone enlightened me about this.

Good luck.

icymanpape

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015

Well I plan on getting a better CPU in the future but this one will do for now and is a upgrade from my previous one lol

icymanpape

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015

Hm alright thanks ill do that right now im trying to see what i can squeeze into what i have left in my budget to get the case and psu but doesnt look like itll work out, but basically you're saying the cases that come with a psu arent really good quality wise i should buy them separately?

parthtrivedi

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012
Yes it will be better if u buy a good quality PSU like antec seasonic corsair etc.

Also you wish to get a better CPU in the future which may require more power.
Good PSU s which are certified they tend to waste little power in resistance etc which will reduce ur electricity bill.
Although the saving is not much but it covERS up what you put extra now.

While buying a PSU always check if it has the power connectors u require for GPU etc ate present and
The basic difference between a good quality PSU an average quality is the amount if current it puts on the 12v rail.

To sum it up its wise and future proof to get a good quality PSU .
I was in a similar dilemma a few years ago when someone enlightened me about this.

Good luck.

Solution