Question Motherboard & GPU Compatibility

Feb 16, 2024
Hi guys, I hope you can help.

I have an ASUS Prime H310M-A R 2.0 motherboard running with an Intel i5-9400F CPU.

I purchased an MSI RTX 3060 ti Gaming Z Trio LHR but all I could get was a blank screen, obviously I tried everything, multiple this and that, changed leads, monitors, updated BIOS, updated Windows from 10 to 11 and so on, and also upgraded the PSU to a 750w version.

Nothing worked so I returned it.

My questions is, should the above motherboard and CPU work with an RTX 4060 ti instead as I’m thinking I may purchase that version instead?

I understand there may be a bottleneck from the CPU but in theory, I assume if the GPU is compatible it will still work on lower settings?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Danny

Feb 16, 2024
Sorry, I should have mentioned…

The PC currently runs flawlessly with a GTX 1660 Super installed, I use that GPU to make all the changes, in an attempt to get the new GPU working I needed to remove the RTX 3060 ti and insert the original GPU.

Please note though, I’m no longer trying to get the RTX 3060 ti working as that has now been returned, I’m trying to find out if the above motherboard will work with the RTX 4060 ti going on the assumption the 3060 ti was faulty?

Thanks for your reply.

Feb 16, 2024
how did you update windows when you said "all I could get was blank screen"
brand and model of the psu?

how did you update windows when you said "all I could get was blank screen"
brand and model of the psu?
Sorry, I should have mentioned…

The PC currently runs flawlessly with a GTX 1660 Super installed, I use that GPU to make all the changes, in an attempt to get the new GPU working I needed to remove the RTX 3060 ti and insert the original GPU.

The PSU is an RPG Rampage 700w 80 Plus Bronze

Please note though, I’m no longer trying to get the RTX 3060 ti working as that has now been returned, I’m trying to find out if the above motherboard will work with the RTX 4060 ti going on the assumption the 3060 ti was faulty?

Thanks for your reply.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My questions is, should the above motherboard and CPU work with an RTX 4060 ti instead as I’m thinking I may purchase that version instead?

I understand there may be a bottleneck from the CPU but in theory, I assume if the GPU is compatible it will still work on lower settings?

It should have worked, yes.

Higher settings. the CPU sets the maximum FPS possible. The GPU sets the limits on visual quality and resolution. So while something with a newer CPU could achieve a higher FPS in the game engine a faster GPU will allow you to increase graphics quality regardless of the CPU.

It would only really be a bottleneck when say the settings are maxed at 4K and the GPU isn't at 100% load.

Feb 16, 2024
It should have worked, yes.

Higher settings. the CPU sets the maximum FPS possible. The GPU sets the limits on visual quality and resolution. So while something with a newer CPU could achieve a higher FPS in the game engine a faster GPU will allow you to increase graphics quality regardless of the CPU.

It would only really be a bottleneck when say the settings are maxed at 4K and the GPU isn't at 100% load.
Thanks for the info.

Sorry to be a pain but can I just clarify that the RTX 3060 ti I purchased above “should” have worked on my motherboard above and that the RTX 4060 ti should also work providing it’s not faulty.

Just wanting to double check as these GPU’s are pretty expensive these days.

Thanks again.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
All you need is a PCIe x16 slot, a UEFI BIOS, and appropriate power. You appear to have all three.

As you have tested a working GPU in the same slot, we know that part works. And it is an x16 card, so presumably all the connections are good.

Only possible remaining issue might be needing to force PCIe 3.0 speeds in the BIOS instead of leaving it on auto.

Feb 16, 2024
All you need is a PCIe x16 slot, a UEFI BIOS, and appropriate power. You appear to have all three.

As you have tested a working GPU in the same slot, we know that part works. And it is an x16 card, so presumably all the connections are good.

Only possible remaining issue might be needing to force PCIe 3.0 speeds in the BIOS instead of leaving it on auto.

Thanks Eximo

I had changed it to UEFI BIOS and assuming you mean changing it to run on Gen 3 rather than auto… also did that so fingers crossed when I order the RTX 4060 ti… it will plug in and work.

Thanks again