Question Motherboard has red led and beep code

Oct 21, 2024
I have a system that is a super tiny mini or micro atx board. The only expansion is one PCIe which is not in use. There are both ram slots filled and the hard drive. This computer doesnt have a power supply- in the p1 (which is not labled p1 it says atx power) has a chip in it the chip has the same white connector like the p1 is and then wires go from that to the power buttons circuit board. theres no headers or nothing , this case was like for commercial use so there is no user friendly stuff.

Now in the photo, the first top arrow points to where the cmos plugs in. the other arrow goes from the chip in the p1 connector to the power button. the two circles are the only other things that plug in (as far as power) and then there is directrly next to the plug for the cmos is a 3 pin jumper.

IMG-0123.jpg

Now what I did was tried to clear the cmos in order to reset the bios because all i had at the time is a vga cable however i believe vga was disabled in bios cause the computer would boot but no display and there was still the plastic cap on the vga plug , you know the dust cover thing when theyre new, anyway so i think they used dvi and had it disabled so that was the reason i wanted to try and reset the bios. So i unplugged the cmos battery for a little bit and powered it on but soon as i attatched the power cord a red LED on motherboard came on and now there still no display but i did gain a constant beep code eeeee eerrrrrrr eeeeee eerrrrrrrrr eeeeeeee eeerrrrrrr sounds like a siren. So i then realized maybe i should have tried changing that jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 but i have never actually had to clear a cmos before in my life. although i learned it in college for I.T. - i have never had to do it. So im not totally clear on the process. But anyway so then i used the jumper then tried to boot into bios and same result. So, I know this is something directly related to this cmos mission i went on so what should i do to resolve this? i know theres nothing else that is causing this issue. Also I need to add like i said in the beginning how the p1 connector is improperly labeled- yeah i cant find <Mod Edit> for labels for anything like clear cmos by that jumper or even determine the MB manufacturer and this is large part of the problem. Oh and i should add that that cmos battery plug is keyed so theres no puttin it in backwards. Oh wait i lied- there is one more thing, a fan, connected for power. i added a little yellow arrow pointing to the jumper for the cmos i think thats what its for and a blue arrow to the fan power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 21, 2024
it literally booted fine then this all happen immediately after disdconnecting that cmos cord but ill reseat the ram and see

think its this? whats a psu?

The rarest error light to illuminate is the VGA light. Like the CPU light, the VGA light illuminates when POST detects a problem with your graphics card. Possible reasons that the VGA light may illuminate include:

• The GPU or PSU power cables are improperly connected.
  • The PCIe socket latch on the GPU didn't click into place.
  • The GPU is not installed in the correct slot, or the GPU or PCIe slot is damaged.
As you can see, although the motherboard red light error is a good starting point, it doesn't always specify the motherboard error—so additional troubleshooting is required.

Oct 21, 2024
here is some better photos and a diagram of the power cable... and will someone please help with this.

this is what makes up the one and only power cable. one side goes to the chip in the p1 connector and one side goes to the on off switch. if you look at the chip below thats in the p1 connector you can notice it has 10 pins and each side of this wire has 8 pin connectors. Well you see the one side with the 2 pin connector that comes out the back? Ya, that runs back from the power button into the chip thats in the p1 connector? wtf? Can you guys see why im having trouble with this?
schematic.png

like i said there is no power supply whatsoever and this chip is in the p1 connector
IMG-0145.jpg

this is how you connect power to the unit from the outside of the case, this is the external port
2-Untitled.png

this is the cmos battery. you can see the heatsink it was taped to in the background
IMG-0140.jpg

this is the motherboard with an arrow where the cmos battery connects
IMG-3040.jpg

Oct 21, 2024
''beep code eeeee eerrrrrrr eeeeee eerrrrrrrrr eeeeeeee eeerrrrrrr sounds like a siren.''

look your Ram
yeah i reseated the ram .... same thing.
i tried with just one ram chip... same thing
i changed ram chips to the other one and tried it with just one chip.... same thing.

the ram isnt bad. the cpu isnt bad. the issue is something related to the way i had the power cable or something directly related to resetting the bios by removing the battery.

i should add this BIOS is InsydeH20. i dont know if that matters.