[SOLVED] Motherboard holes too big for intel push pins

Aug 5, 2020
Recently I tried building a budget pc with an i5 second gen and a lenovo mobo (is6xm rev 1). I had a gammaxx 300 cooler that supports lga 115x. When I try pushing in the push pins, they just come out, the holes are just a bit wider than the plastic bit. Tried another cooler I had lying around, same stuff. Currently I used plastic washers to hold it, but seems not so stable. Why could it not fit?

Solution
Because it's not lga115x Universal Aftermarket, it's Lenovo. It's built exclusively for Lenovo, who do not really want you to upgrade unless it's through them. So they (like Dell and HP etc) do funky wierd stuff to make you miserable if you do try. This includes stuff like oversized holes that only fit Lenovo coolers, odd shaped spacing (non-Intel standard) of mounting brackets, fan header re-pin etc.

You basically have 2 options. Use the stock (or upgraded stock) Lenovo cooling solutions, or go with an aftermarket solution that uses a full backplate and bolt in mounting. The standard Intel push-pin isn't going to work.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Because it's not lga115x Universal Aftermarket, it's Lenovo. It's built exclusively for Lenovo, who do not really want you to upgrade unless it's through them. So they (like Dell and HP etc) do funky wierd stuff to make you miserable if you do try. This includes stuff like oversized holes that only fit Lenovo coolers, odd shaped spacing (non-Intel standard) of mounting brackets, fan header re-pin etc.

You basically have 2 options. Use the stock (or upgraded stock) Lenovo cooling solutions, or go with an aftermarket solution that uses a full backplate and bolt in mounting. The standard Intel push-pin isn't going to work.

Reactions: jay32267 and ZenXnE
Solution
Aug 5, 2020

Well, I'm buying a cooler then.. The joke is that its not my first lenovo product and I had trouble with all of them.. sigh
Thank you for the quick answer, be this a warning for everyone buying cheap second hand mobos
(Oh and it has a bios block against amd cards too)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Never seen bios have any blocks against gpus. What that runs into is the legacy vs uefi bios, there's 3 kinds. Pure legacy, which is the old style that has been around forever. Then there's uefi, new style, which is what all bios are now. Then there's a hybrid, which many 3rd party OEM adopted when uefi first came out. Many cards had serious issues with the hybrid, Maxwell cards on particular, and most newer Rx cards. The R9 and prior series was usually fine as they used legacy bios.