Question Motherboard light white on startup with a noise B350-F

Sep 4, 2019
When I startup there is a strange noise that I assumed was a fan but is difficult to diagnose. It almost sounds like grinding. The PC posts and starts up like normal and will make it to desktop if I allow it. Immediately after starting up everything lights up, fans start spinning then there is almost a second startup that I hear and at that moment the white light on the motherboard turns on and the noise (grinding?) begins.

If I turn off my computer and turn it back on eventually it will boot past the second initialization and no noise. To my knowledge this does not affect operation. Today I noticed that when it start sup without noise the white light quickly turns green then goes out, which now I am wondering if this could be helpful in diagnosing the issue.

Since it sounds kind of like grinding I've taken the time to stare at each fan in turn but they all look the same during the noise and when it is not occurring. Since the issue is intermittent I am having difficulty diagnosing. I've disconnected the dvd drive to test if that was what was grinding to no avail. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Motherboard: B350-F
Case: ZM-Z9 since built-in fans are all molex might be pertinent.
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler
GPU: ASUS RX 580 8 GB but fan does not run during grinding sound since it is at startup

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
If your LEDs are the same as mine (Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming),
then the LEDs should be RED - CPU, Yellow/Amber - RAM, White - GPU,
Yellow/Green - Boot Drive.
So the white light would indicate an issue with your GPU.
I would remove the GPU and clean it with canned air and see if the fans spin freely.
If so you could put it back in and see if the grinding is gone.
If the grinding noise is still there I would open the case and watch/listen to the GPU and see if you can pinpoint the noise to the GPU.