[SOLVED] Motherboard lights go on but computer won't boot after water spill inside tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2020
Long story short: <Mod Edit> went down, someone spilled water into my tower, most water hit the floor but there was a little bit inside, i found small puddle on top of the GPU (and maybe inside...) and on top of the SSD. Could have been other places too but i didn't see any.
The PC was in sleep mode and I hurried to flip off the power supply and unplug as fast as i could, but maybe i wasn't fast enough.
So after unplugging i opened the tower and had some table fans i put on to blow into it for about 8 hours and I left it in the room which is very dry for the next 24 hours. Before coming back to it to check.
Nothing was wet so i tried to plug in power again to see, and all the lights inside go on but it won't boot up.
The red light on my motherboard that says CPU is lighted and i have tried to troubleshoot to find out if any other component were causing it to not boot but no result.
I have tried to unplug every other part but it seems either its the Motherboard or PSU maybe that causes it to not boot up.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't mind changing any of my parts but I need to find out which one is broken :(
Motherboard is Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming.
Here is a picture of inside when i flip the power switch on: View: https://imgur.com/touMQ4s

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
You probably fried your motherboard and/or PSU. Was the spill on your GPU on the back plate? If you have a spare motherboard, switch it out and test it.
Feb 26, 2020
I opened the CPU to check and took it out, it doesnt seem like any water came in there as it looks very healthy.

You probably fried your motherboard and/or PSU. Was the spill on your GPU on the back plate? If you have a spare motherboard, switch it out and test it.

I dont think it should be anything wrong with the PSU since when I flip the power switch on behind, then all the lights come on. So there is power.
But maybe the motherboard..

The red circles is where i found small puddles of water: View: https://imgur.com/Xwb4IQ4

It seems like the water could have come through the Graphic card, in which case it should be Kaput right? but I tried to boot up after taking it out and still there is a red light on the motherboard and it wont boot :/

I don't have a spare motherboard but i might have a friend that has one i can try it with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.